Why do people even like PVP in this game?

I've played this game a lot. Beaten it twice. And still I don't understand why people like the PVP aspect of this game. 90% of the time, PVP battles end with your opponent getting (somewhat) close to your side, only to magically teleport behind you and backstab you with a one-hit kill. And the other 10% are glitchers who backflip while wearing Havel's Armor, and can only be killed by being knocked off a ledge. Add in all the unfair double-teaming that occurs, and I really don't see why anyone likes PVP in this game at all. (Now you can proceed to insult me for saying this - Knock yourself out!)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Yes, backstabs are way overpowered in this game. I hear that they got nerfed in Dark Souls 2 a lot which is good. The fights you do have where people only backstab when you give them a chance are fun. Fights where people just spin around you waiting for backstabs are boring.

-

I don't seem to run into too many people who hack, but there are a decent amount in this game. It sucks, but you have to deal with that in almost any online game you play these days.

-

Double teaming is fair, unless they're doing it on purpose. Invaders naturally should be at a disadvantage.

-

I hope tanks are more viable in Dark Souls 2. They're pretty useless in Dark Souls for the most part. If you can successfully PvP with a heavy, kudos to you.

[quote user="Vix Sundown"]I've played this game a lot. Beaten it twice.

[/quote]

You just contradicted yourself.

Pvp actually takes some measure of skill, unlike when you play offline. If you're having connection problem, blame your ISP.

Isaac, thanks for the response. I actually found your comments to be polite and thought out. Awesome... Yeah, I agree about double teaming vs. an invader. No issues with that! Getting invaded happens all the time in this game. Having a human coop ally helps a lot. I do hope they nerf the backstab for DS2. I am really looking forward to that game!

Also, invading is heavily one sided in pros vs cons department. Invaders pretty much loose nothing when they die, while the indvaded turn hollow and have to turn human again. If the invader dies, they just get returned to a bonfire.

What that other guy said is also true. Player vs Player takes a lot of skill, especially if you don't want to play the easy way and just go for backstabs. Player vs Player is basically all about reading your enemies moves and mistakes. That means you have to have probably used every piece of equipment in the game, or close to it - you especially need to know each weapons movesets as well. Then, you have to make sure you know all the miracles, pyromancy, and spells in the game and how to avoid getting hit by those.

It's not a knock on you for having no skills, it's just the truth. I got dark souls a month or two after release, and it took me until about two months ago to pvp decently, I'm still not quite good. When you start trying to learn how to PvP, you have to expect to loose a lot because people have been PvPing for years. They do, in fact, basically know everything about everything in Dark Souls PvP.

Don't let this scare you away. PvP is a really, really fun part of the game. When I played Dark Souls, I used to be a co-op character. I never invaded for about two years, I even dashboarded whenever I got invaded I hated it so much. But one day, I realized the only way I was going to get better at invasions was by actually doing them. I didn;t think I would like invasions, but the more I played them and the more I understood how peoples characters were designed and how my character had strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else it became very fun.

If you're going to start PvPing, I advise building your character online first here: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

I
t helps a lot, so you basically don;t make a crummy character.

Hey man, thanks a lot for the tips. Defending myself from invasions is all I care about most. It's kind of fun to invade as Darkmoon sometimes but I've never gotten good enough at it to enjoy it much.

If you're looking to defend yourself from invasions, don't do it 2v1. You're never going to get better when you've always got help. When I first started PVP, I did it with a Phantom in the vicinity in case I got invaded twice in the Forest, mainly, or in case someone came in and literally tried to backstab me to death. This much I do support, but don't gank. You don't like it, so don't do it yourself. As far as PVP practice, just stick it out. You'd be better off waiting to be invaded (DO NOT GANK) than invading though, so that you don't run the risk of going 2v1.

'I agree about double teaming vs. an invader. No issues with that! Getting invaded happens all the time in this game. Having a human coop ally helps a lot'.

Hate to repeat myself but do not 2v1, seriously. There is nothing significant to lose either invading or being invaded, so don't worry about it. Practice makes better. If you've got 'no issues' with 2v1 then go right ahead and keep invading... we'll see how long you can keep that attitude up.

'I've played this game a lot. Beaten it twice'.

Not trying to be offensive, exactly, but this is not 'a lot'. It's pretty much 'barely tried it'... ***, you might still be on your first character at this point. Don't go into PVP thinking you should be much better than you're doing, because you have to learn and adapt to it, it's not something someone (especially with your experience) is going to rock first off.

'And still I don't understand why people like the PVP aspect of this game. 90% of the time, PVP battles end with your opponent getting (somewhat) close to your side, only to magically teleport behind you and backstab you with a one-hit kill'.

This is just lag, can be countered perfectly easily and is something you'll again learn with practice.

2 v 1 fights might not make you better, but it is fun. Especially if you have a "RPG wholy trinity".

I'm always the healer. I sit back and heal us and I also pelt the enemies with moonlight arrows.

It might not be the greatest build ever, but it's fun. 

[quote user="El Negro JimBob"]

[quote user="Vix Sundown"]I've played this game a lot. Beaten it twice.

[/quote]

You just contradicted yourself.

Pvp actually takes some measure of skill, unlike when you play offline. If you're having connection problem, blame your ISP.

[/quote]

Pvp would only take skill if it were at sl 100+. Anything under that is upgrade dependent, like level 30's with 946 damage Great Combustion or 15s with +15 Claymores.

I disagree. Good fights can take place at around level 50 and up. Thats around where people reach Anor Londo and the 4 Lord Soul areas. People should have all their gear maxed or near maxed by that area.

Well i like PvP because i get interesting fights all the time. I have already beaten this game like 14 times so its gets boring after awhile. Thats why i like to try out new builds and learn new counters, strats, etc. But when i'm not PvPing i am either practicing speed running or helping my friends!