Why do I have to wait for cloud saved games to sync before an app will download?

This is a constant source of frustration.

Here's the scenario: I play Skyrim for a few hours and have several new saves. I quit playing Skyrim and decide to download a new app. The screen that comes up for the app download says Please Wait or something to that effect but nothing happens for a long time. Finally, I go check Active Downloads and see that it's syncing my Skyrim saves first. I rotate between 10 saves and syncing 10 saves takes at least 10 minutes, sometimes more. The app will not download until the saved games are synced. That is super frustrating in itself but the most frustrating part is that I would have never known that was the reason the app wasn't downloading unless I went to the Active Downloads screen. No indication whatsoever otherwise.

Am I missing something? Is there an option that will let me just download the app and not have to wait 10 or more minutes? It seems ridiculous. I've stopped using cloud saved games because of it.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 20 Applies to:

Hey there Juice! I have never heard of a game's save files being in the Active Queue. Can you provide me a screenshot of what you are seeing so I can better understand. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You can force the pending download to go to the front of the queue if you select the "Download Now" option.

Sorry this didn't help.

Along with Jawest's to bump your current download to the top you can turn on background download to allow your cloud storage to fully sync after you turn off your xbox.  This might help eliminate the long upload que and get it caught up between purchases.

To do it go into your System Settings, then console settings, then shutdown, and then enable background download.

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is frustrating me too, I have background downloads turned on, but it still takes ten minutes or more for "Syncing saved games..."  When I try to force the other downloads ahead of the sync, the "Download Now" is greyed out and it clogs up the whole bottleneck.

I just started my XBOX 30-40 minutes ago to start downloading the new chapter of Walking Dead...and it's stil syncing the saved games.  I have a fast cable internet connection, to boot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey T 0 3 1 A 5, it would be best for you to create your own thread about this so that we can better assist you. Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

Background downloads is on and the Download Now option is greyed out. Neither of those is a solution to this problem.

Right now if like to download the Redbox Instant app but since I played Skyrim earlier it has a ton of saves to sync and I'm SOL until they're done syncing. Since my Internet is being slow, that might happen some time later tonight. I can't understand why you'd force save syncs to finish before allowing an app to download. Stupid.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this same problem with Skrim I've played lots & never had this issue. Now I'm trying to download a new game and it says syncing autosave...... I can't move the game I want to download now to the top that option is greyed out....Does anyone know how to fix this!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there HiddenInPeace!

Please go ahead and create a new thread if you haven't already. This way you can receive support specifically tailored to you. Be sure to include the details of the issue as well as any troubleshooting steps that you have tried. Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.