Why did the energy sword get the short end of the stick?

Why did Bungie add Sword Block? It almost makes the sword worthless...

Does the Rocket have a Rocket Block?
Shotgun have Shotgun block?
Gravity Hammer have a Hammer block?
Does The Spartan laser have a laser Block?
Etc.

The Shotgun got a range increase... the Sword lost the ability to swing faster if you melee and have ANYTHING block it...

What's even worse? About 90% of the time I get sword block, or I sword block, it's because I melee and hope for the best. It's all luck based!

Anyone else hate Sword Block

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

No, because the Sword absolutely destroys any single combatant, AND can easily take out several.

It isn't on the same level as the Rockets are by any means, but it's still one of the most destructive weapons.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

No, because the Sword absolutely destroys any single combatant, AND can easily take out several.

It isn't on the same level as the Rockets are by any means, but it's still one of the most destructive weapons.

[/quote]

Since I'm playing Free For All more often now, I have to say: The sword feels just worthless to me. I much rather rush the Shotgun and Grenade Launcher before I rush the sword.

All the grenades being thrown, Sword Block, Shotgun, Sniper, DMR, they all make the Sword less deadly...

Sword Block stuns the sword user for a second, enough time for the enemy to step back and fire the last two shots needed to kill you.

Also, what's with the sword still killing me when I get a Bulltrue, every time? o-o'

The Sword/Bulltrue relationship must be one of the things I've had to explain the most for the Forums, but it basically [very basically] goes like this:

Lag compensation recognises that the other player actually did hit you. While it's annoying to you, it's only fair, and prior to this system those with a better connection in a given match got this kind of advantage over those that were matched up from miles away.

Trust me, I am more than pleasantly familiar with this.

And I still think you may be understating the power of the Sword: it still destroys when it's used even at a mediocre level (in a roughly even match, of course) and can wreck if it's used properly.

Speedy~

I have to say that I disagree.  Frankly, I don't know how to lunge and I hate that weapon...but (like Bob said) it's nasty deadly.  A Rocket Lancher has 4 shots.  You can get double or triple kills, but when you're getting 1, that's only 1 kill.  The Sword, meanwhile, has 10 kills in it.  Each kill takes 10%.  A full, new 100% Sword has 10 kills to it.  With the lunge added...the advantage of the Sword is just too much.  Sword block (to me) is a positive thing in at least diminishing the god-mode of that weapon.  

No - Rockets, Shotgun, Hammer and Spartan Laser DO NOT have block.  But they (all but the Shotgun) also don't have 10 kills.  A Full shotgun has 30...but maybe they think that the shotty doesn't have lunge either...so that evens the two a bit.

I don't hate Sword Block...I hate the Sword.

This is just another example of Speedy latching on to the "cool" kids on Bungie.net who love to try and make their opinions fact and all that good stuff... They are so wrong in every way.

Anyways, it's completely logical step in balancing the weapon sandbox. Halo 2 was without a doubt the worst balanced game in the series in terms of the Sword. You could run around with a BR and lure people into chasing you. You press Y and before you even have the Sword out you're lunging at them for an easy kill. Ruined CQC.

Halo 3 improved on this by making a small animation where you have to charge the Sword up before you could attack with it. Much better than 2, but still a bit overpowered. 

Halo: Reach introduces Sword Block to help balance it even more. No longer is CQC completely decided by whoever has the Sword on tiny maps. With some skill you can time it to get a small chance to kill the other player. 

Sword Block doesn't effect me all that much. It's not based on luck. It hardly ever actually happens and even when it does I can still get the kill. 

If Sword Block is such a big issue, tell that to the guys in this game: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=636952658&player=MattKohl101.

A couple of them were able to Sword Block but I still easily got the kill. The only way I died was because of a lucky Plasma Grenade stick. 

The only reason sword block would be there is for the range of the sword, but since shotgun now has more range sword block is completely unneccessary.

[quote user="LF HyFeariuM"]

The only reason sword block would be there is for the range of the sword, but since shotgun now has more range sword block is completely unneccessary.

[/quote]

No, that has nothing to do with Sword Block. If you have a Shotgun, you and the Sword guy are already set for a battle. The Shotgun does usually win if you get the drop on the Sword guy. 

The Sword Block is there because it was still the end-all weapon at CQC. It was better in Halo 3 than 2 (Didn't it have unlimited ammo in Halo 2?), but still guaranteed you at least a Killing Frenzy with Active Camo or if you were on a small map. 

Sword Block is there for those WITHOUT a Shotgun or any other Power Weapon to defend themselves. It balances the Sword almost perfectly in the current weapon sandbox.

"Halo 3 improved on this by making a small animation where you have to charge the Sword up before you could attack with it. Much better than 2, but still a bit overpowered".

I do agree with the rest of your points in both posts, but I think Sprint + Evade - Sword Block still makes the Sword more dangerous in Reach than H3 .