why can't you select what hard drive to download a game or demo to??

Hello,

I have three hard drives. one is an xbox hard drive. the other two are standard external hard drives. 

when downloading a game or demo from the market place it automatically chooses a destination hard drive for you. 

is there a way to change the destination hard drive? I cannot figure it out if there is.... as there is no option to push why to "select device"

and it is very frustrating to have to turn off my box, unplug the two hard drives i DONT want the game/demo downloaded to just to be able to download it to my desired hard drive.

looking forward to a response.

Thank you! 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 228 Applies to:

Make sure your desired hard drive has been configured for Xbox use. System > Storage > Hard drive of your choice > Configure Now or Customize if you want to set it to a use only a certain amount of space.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

@RedRobin183: The OP already has two external devices configured for Xbox storage already.

This problem is simply a limitation of the Xbox OS which hasn't been addressed.  However, there is a way to download to an external hard drive or Flash memory, even if it is a little convoluted.

1. Go to the Marketplace and download something, it doesn't matter what you choose, as long as it doesn't finish before you get to the next stage.
2. While the first item is still downloading, select the content that you really want to download, be that a full game, demo or DLC. This will be added to the download queue.
3. Press the X button on your console to bring up the mini guide.  Go to downloads.  You will see two items. Go to the second item in the queue (the content you actually want).  This will be 'Pending'. 
4.  Select it and press A on your controller.  Choose 'Change Storage Device'.
5. Cancel the first download.  The item that was pending will now download to your chosen storage device.

Hope that helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

nice trick Obsessive! thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

I downlaod destine demo but I cannot open it because I have not hard drive.How can I open destine demo?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem as mrmaloney123 but mine says that i can't download at all because my system memory is full so i got an external USB drive so i could download it but it still says that i can't because my system memory is full but i got the hard drive new and i just can't change it, can someone help me!?!?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there FlattenedCone71!

Please go ahead and create a new thread if you haven't already. This way you can receive support specifically tailored to you. Be sure to include the details of the issue as well as any troubleshooting steps that you have tried. Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.