Why aren't my downloaded Xbox games not working on other profiles?

Among the many games I've purchased on Xbox LIVE Marketplace, two games don't work with one of my other profiles. Among all the 15+ games I've purchased, BioShock and Gears of War 3 don't work on my other profile. When I try to launch them from the Dashboard, I'm told, "Can't launch (whatever game)". And I've even tried launching the game with the profile I can play them on, and while in-game, signing in to the other profile, but I get a message saying that I must play this game only on the profile I purchased it on. I'm scratching my head wondering, why am I not entitled to the games I've purchased? When you have a physical copy of a game, you can do whatever you want with it. Why not digital? Now, if someone wants to play my games on their profile, they can't because of this issue and they'll have to play on my profile, which I don't want. My question is, is their some way around this? Some kind of licence transfer or something? What if I re-installed the games and tried again? I should at least be able to play the games I bought on any profile as long as It's on my console...

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 190 Applies to:

Had you changed consoles since purchasing those games that do not work with other profiles?  If so, then that is the issue.  Purchased games are licensed to both the account that purchased them and the console they were originally downloaded to.  This means that on other consoles only the account that originally bought them can play them.

To fix this you will need to do a license transfer.

support.xbox.com/.../download-content

Once done download the games again (don't delete, just redownload).  This will move the licenses over and you'll be able to play them with other accounts again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.