Why are all ON DEMAND games old releases?

Why are there no downloads for new games?

I'm not alone in being spoiled by XBLA, PNS & Steam downloads that I no longer buy discs from the store. It's a waste of time and clutters space for a lot of people.

Just a few weeks ago I made a list of games I was planning on buying this fall/winter

Deus Ex 3, Gears 3, the Halo remake, Rayman, Cod, BF3, & Forza...

Well Deus EX released with no online download on LIVE, and it seems so has Gears opportunity passed without a download.

By the time they are made available I won't care anymore, the excitement will be gone and better games will be releasing by then.

Sure, I'll probably pass on buying any and all of them if this is the case, so will many others.

Sure we'll miss out playing those games on 360, but I'll probably pick them up through ON LIVE for the ones that are available.

Just seems MSFT is missing a huge opportunity here for sales. I'm sure they plan on day and date online availability next gen, but why **** away the opportunity for sales ASAP?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

It would most definetly crash LIVE because of how many people would be downloading new releases.

I think it has to do with not pissing off Target, Amazon, Gamestop, etc.  That's why the prices are higher for on demand games too.  

Digital download is for other systems or just the xbox?   (If only on xbox, You know whats next)...plus, its just another way to SCAM gamers on prices...

I like actually OWNING a game, with the manual and everything inside. I don't know what it is, makes it more special that way.

developers would benefit from download sales too as it would destroy the second hand market and everyone would have to pay full price for all games.

i hope this never happens as it is very rare i buy a new full price game and im  sure a lot of people are in the same situation.

[quote user="DJ Slam"]

Sure, I'll probably pass on buying any and all of them if this is the case, so will many others.

[/quote]

Im really suprised by this.  As others have said, I prefer to actually have the hard copy.  Also, all the deal hunting and bartering is removed from the transaction.  No special offers or discounts. No free points or Live.  I find games on demand over priced as well.  I just dont see how 'many' people will not purchase a big title they have looked forward to, just because they cant download it.  However, its only my opinion and im not saying im right.

if it went 100 digital i would stop gaming, its just a dumb idea  

[quote user="ThugLife67889"]

if it went 100 digital i would stop gaming, its just a dumb idea  

[/quote]

One reason I guess is the need of constant Internet connection? Another being you do not own a physical copy of the game.

Anyway the service you mentioned is already available - It's called onLive.

[quote user="eurofunnelcake"]

I like actually OWNING a game, with the manual and everything inside. I don't know what it is, makes it more special that way.

[/quote]

Have you seen a manual lately? Gears 3 was literally 2 pieces of paper. What if I had never played Gears 1 or 2? Am I just supposed to pick it up as I go along? Also what happened to character profiles in the manual? And Note sections? I remember when I got Splinter Cell Conviction all of these write ups on the different characters. Maybe companies are trying to save the trees.

But going 100% digital hurts alot of retailers, Target, GS, Wal-Mart, Ebay, Amazon. We as consumers cannot let this happen. How would you feel if you didnt get that 40 buck discount for purchasing Gears 3 and Dead Island?

A lot of casual gamers just buy new games because if the kids at school aren't talking about it or they aren't seeing the advertisements on tv... then they don't really have any idea of whats out there. Games on Demand is another form of advertisement. And another way to squeeze out a little more money from the titles.