Why are a lot of people obsessed with modern realistic shooters?

Too much realism makes a game boring.  And a lot of them are overrated.  There's nothing special about them; they're just the same game over and over again, especially Cod.  No creativity.  A lot of them have some really bad stories and short campaigns.  I know it's mostly about the multiplayer, but campaign is important too.

Ex.  Call of Duty series, Battlefield series, Operation Flashpoint series, ArmASeries, Homefront, Rainbow Six series, and Medal of Honor Series.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any realism, it's just that too much is boring.  Realistic physics are good, but that's about it.

I don't hate all realistic shooters, I like Cod 1, 2 and 4.  Battlefield Bad Company is the most recent one I liked.  But now, there's just too many of them with no innovation.

Creative shooters are the ones that should dominate the market.  Ones that are pretty imaginative and don't rely on just shooting things.

Ex. Halo series, Killzone series, Gears of War series, Resistance Series, Crysis series, Bulletstorm, Bioshock series, Uncharted Series,  Alan Wake, Fallout series, Red Dead Redemption, The Darkness,  Resident Evil series, Left 4 dead series, and upcoming creative shooters like Rage, The Darkness 2, Shadows of the Damned, and Bioshock Infinite.

By the way, I don't like only shooters, i also like RPGs and action/adventure games.  I'm just wondering what's so special about these generic shooters that have so much hype.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="x B1ackDah1ia x"]

[quote user="BluMoxie"]

[quote user="Uyuyuy72"]

[quote user="BluMoxie"]

I think it's just how the past few years played out.  Every console generation seems to have a genre fad.  I think FPS were so successful this generation because online play became more of a standard.

I'm a little tired of it myself, though I think the only way Bioshock's story would've worked is as a FPS.

[/quote]Bioshock as TPS would rock the same of more IMO.

[/quote]

If they made it a TPS, they would have probably needed to give the lead character some dialogue scenes instead of keeping him mute.  I'm sure they could have gotten it to work, but I guess I'm satisfied with the game as it is.

[/quote]

Bioshock just wouldnt be Bioshock without being a FPS.

I like alot of game genres as well as FPS's. I just play what I enjoy.

[/quote]

Yeah, I kind of see it the same way as why Gordan Freeman should always be kept quiet.

[quote user="BluMoxie"]

[quote user="Uyuyuy72"]

[quote user="BluMoxie"]

I think it's just how the past few years played out.  Every console generation seems to have a genre fad.  I think FPS were so successful this generation because online play became more of a standard.

I'm a little tired of it myself, though I think the only way Bioshock's story would've worked is as a FPS.

[/quote]

If they made it a TPS, they would have probably needed to give the lead character some dialogue scenes instead of keeping him mute.  I'm sure they could have gotten it to work, but I guess I'm satisfied with the game as it is.

[/quote]

Bioshock just wouldnt be Bioshock without being a FPS.

I like alot of game genres as well as FPS's. I just play what I enjoy.

there is no realistic games.

[quote user="DanteSparda504"]

Different people like different things. Modern Day Shooters are great games, it just comes down to if you like them or not.

You are obviously into them.

[/quote]

I understand what you're saying Velcoiraptor98. I don't really play realistic shooters either, if I play shooting games I like Perfect Dark, Halo (but getting tired of it), Unreal, and Team Fortress 2. I like TF2 because it's hilarious.

I suppose it's hyped as a "cool thing to have" -- apparently the marketing is good as it sells well but I don't buy them. It's actually that the best games are the ones never heard of.. Fragile Dreams is a hidden gem that not many know about and it's one of my favorites of all time.. but of course many reviews really despised the game.. so it comes down to what a person really likes, and I guess a lot of people like CoD or at least try to like it to fit in lol.

I personally prefer WWII era FPS over modern era FPS shooters, and I wish that someone would make a very in depth WWII FPS game with a BF style online filled with tanks planes, etc. featuring Germans, Americans, British, Russians, Polish, Italiens, Japanese, Canadians, French Resistance, etc.

Only a few titles try to attempt realism.

Those titles on the Xbox would be the Operation Flashpoint series.

But is ARMA on the Xbox? If so, then include that as well.

[quote user="Uyuyuy72"]

[quote user="BluMoxie"]

[/quote]

[quote user="DanteSparda504"]

Different people like different things. Modern Day Shooters are great games, it just comes down to if you like them or not.

You are obviously into them.

[/quote]

Realized I failed and it's too late to edit. "You are obviously NOT into them."

I'm talking about shooters in general, not just xbox exclusives.