Why all the hate?

I really love playing this game. However, I run into so many disrespectful people while playing on live that it disgusts me. I understand that the online community in general is poor at best but I was hoping for a better class of people. I used to play Magic back in the day. Since I no longer have the time to collect cards or spend as much money on it as I used to, this is a welcome game for me. Yet, half the time I beat someone they send me a message telling me how lucky I am.

For example. I was playing Ancient Depts against Unquenchable Fire. I drew many lands and land producing spells. He understandably burned any creature I put on the board and was pecking away at me with some 1/1's and the 0/2 that is pumpable. So then finally I get Kozilek on the board. He has 4 land and 4 creatures, my next turn I will absolutely wreck him. He lets his timer run forever. I'm guess so that he could send me his message which was, 'Get lucky, scrub. You suck'. Then proceeded to run his timer out. My turn I attack and he sacrifices 2 land and 2 creatures. His turn, he lets his timer run again and quits before I can finish my turn.

I guess coming here and complaining really isn't going to solve anything. I just wanted to vent a little. When I play and I know that I'm beaten. I don't quit. I play out my turns until my life runs to 0. Sometimes I find it funny when I have maybe 4 health left and my opponent intentionally leaves me with 1 health and I pull off improbably victories. I especially like when I'm clearly beaten and it's their turn and they just sit there, let the timer run and send me a message about how bad I am. They do realize this is a card game and while skill is a big factor the cards you draw will mostly decide your outcome.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Goku SSJ4"]

I really love playing this game. However, I run into so many disrespectful people while playing on live that it disgusts me. I understand that the online community in general is poor at best but I was hoping for a better class of people. I used to play Magic back in the day. Since I no longer have the time to collect cards or spend as much money on it as I used to, this is a welcome game for me. Yet, half the time I beat someone they send me a message telling me how lucky I am.

For example. I was playing Ancient Depts against Unquenchable Fire. I drew many lands and land producing spells. He understandably burned any creature I put on the board and was pecking away at me with some 1/1's and the 0/2 that is pumpable. So then finally I get Kozilek on the board. He has 4 land and 4 creatures, my next turn I will absolutely wreck him. He lets his timer run forever. I'm guess so that he could send me his message which was, 'Get lucky, scrub. You suck'. Then proceeded to run his timer out. My turn I attack and he sacrifices 2 land and 2 creatures. His turn, he lets his timer run again and quits before I can finish my turn.

I guess coming here and complaining really isn't going to solve anything. I just wanted to vent a little. When I play and I know that I'm beaten. I don't quit. I play out my turns until my life runs to 0. Sometimes I find it funny when I have maybe 4 health left and my opponent intentionally leaves me with 1 health and I pull off improbably victories. I especially like when I'm clearly beaten and it's their turn and they just sit there, let the timer run and send me a message about how bad I am. They do realize this is a card game and while skill is a big factor the cards you draw will mostly decide your outcome.

[/quote]

1. You really could have summed it up with half the details. Inb4 tl;dr. 2. People are jerks online because they're anonymous and 99.99% of the time there is no repercussions. In real life I'm sure that guy would never have spoken to you or another player like that. Sucks I know. Stalling is one of the many reasons I quit this game. There needs to be a match timer like MtGO. I'm still holding on to hope that this game will be patched. I would love to come back to it. Shame that even in custom games ppl will stall now.

I've only played three or four matches but I've been fortunate that everyone has been pretty cool. We had an archenemy game going today and all three of us had our mics and were chatting and helping each other. As was said: when given anonymity humans will, too often, be jerks.

The original game was somewhat the same, but you could find a core group that didn't act like children. I just made note of the knuckle heads and avoided them. Keep the faith, regular, polite, and friendly players are out there.

Sore losers, there are a lot of them in Magic 2012.

I'm one of the players you are describing, bro. I speak my mind. If I think you won off of luck, I'm going to tell you that. And if I win, I'm going to rub it in. If I own you in 5 turns, you are getting a message. If I lose off of the luck of the draw, you are getting a message. And why? Because that's Xbox Live in a nutshell. And I'd be more than happy to tell that person IRL if I had the chance, but I don't collect these cards, or play in tournaments. Only thing I DON'T DO IS STALL. Because that's just annoying. Trash talk, all the way. Stalling? I'm wasting your time and mine. I'd rather drown kittens.

trash talking among adults or even teenagers is one thing.  But it's pretty ridiculous that I can't let my kids play a card game online because of the amount of A-holes I see sending completely inappropriate messages.  Does it really make you feel good rubbing your win in the face of a 9 year old???  

Don't get me wrong,  I've been known to smack talk a lot with people on the mic.  But at least I have the common decency to get a sense of who I'm talking to first.  I don't just send messages to people who may not want to participate in that type of behavior.  The whole "That's just how x-box is"  argument is pretty ignorant.  Just because the community is filled with D-bags doesn't mean you need to become one.

I play to have fun...if you trash talk while playing a freaking card game I think it speaks volumes about you as a person.

Maybe you should get out more....this isn't directed at you Poo...I know yer one of the gooduns.

I play to have a good time with one of my Magic buddies.  We joke, we insult, we mess around, win or lose we can still get a chuckle out of something in the end.

Now I'm not one to send messages often, usually only when someone makes a really weird play (for example both players in 2HG played Kozilek on turn five) but I can't say the same for some of my partners...

Not trying to toot my own horn here but... this was a pretty incredible situation.  My partner and I came back from a 48-1 deficit FTW... we didn't quit... and neither did the two we were up against!  I definitely agree with the OP that there is a TON of rage quitting goin on.. but that particular game was fantastic.  

I'm a huge advocate for conceding early when you can no longer win the game.  I get a lot of people sending me hate messages for what they think is "Rage Quitting"  when in reality,  There's simply no card in my deck that can pull me back from that situation. I've been playing Magic for long enough to know exactly what's left in my deck, and how to mentally map out the next 2-3 turns. I get frustrated when people don't quit.  Because then you have to sit and wait for them to do a bunch of stuff before they realize "Oh wait, I die next turn!"  Then they quit out anyways!   I will however agree that there are some people that quit a little prematurely, but I don't really see it that often.