where would you live?

There are those of us still hanging around who have played this game for way too many hours. I was rambling around the Reach yesterday, actually finding a couple of places I had never entered. Anyway, I kept looking at the rocks and river gorges and waterfalls and thought that had I been given a choice of where to build my house it would have been in the Reach. I can understand why that was not a possibility in-game since the Foresworn are so thick on the ground but still I like that scenery best of all. In fact, if I had all the needed conveniences close at hand I like the house in Markarth best as far as looks go. Where would you choose to build your house? The plains of Whiterun? The autumnlands of the Rift? Around the hot pools in Whiterun? Or in one of the snowy spots?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I haven't explored enough yet to make a well informed decision.  I do like it up where the Graybeards live.

The world of Skyrim is beautiful and varied, have fun exploring. When you say you like it where the greybeards live do you mean their temple? The mountain? Or Iverstead where you begin the ascent? Iverstead is in the Rift. I always think of that area as autumnlnds because the trees are golden. It's pretty there, too.

I really like the layout of the temple.  Right now I am working on the Bard College quests so I'm  liking that environment.  It's tough to decide.    Sometimes I'm in a deep cavern full of  Necromancers and I'll  think.."hmm I like what they've done to the place"

Ah, I see. Yes, I find that to be the case as well. I love the floors in the Bard's College and in the house you can buy in Solitude. Wait until you see the Dwemer ruins. Other than the creepy clanking and steam they're pretty cool. Except for the evil people that live there, I really like Markarth, too.

I always liked Half Moon Mill in The Reach. It looks like a nice no-were place were a Dragon born could just settle down and slip for the annuls of Tamriel history.  That and I read in the daily scroll that the land will appreciate with the thriving fishing trade. Dragon born to Fishmonger, just like Musashi. Well maybe not.

Question: If you have the Hearthfire add-on can you build more than one house, meaning, can you buy and build on more than one property? I just bought the add-on pack since it's on sale for $2.49 and went ahead and built my joint at the first place which became available. It's just north of Whiterun.

Yes you can build on more than one. Hjarlmarch is one of my favorite places. Once you get rid of the Giants and Bandits. Close to Whiterun is easy travel to sell off the stuff you make or collect. Just choose carefully who you get to be housecarl and run the homestead. Some of your other followers will have dialogue to be your steward. You could have 2 people watching your homestead for you. Not all followers will have dialogue until you take them inside the home.

There are three available properties.

It is possible to own 8 (or more since I don't know what is available in Dawnguard) houses total plus a room with storage in the mage's college. My first house is Lakeview and usually gets smelter and magic stuff. It's actually my favorite house (other than the alter and body) because I like the lake. I really like the balconies so that house gets two plus the library. I usually have 3 flat roofs at Windstad. This time around I tried some different configurations. I had flat roof on each side and the tower at the end. That looks really nice. I put all three slanted roofs on Hjalmarch and think the back one looks stupid but I love the trophy room. I really wish the back slant had been the kitchen since I don't use it. I love the greenhouse, too and am happy that they toned down the bees.  All houses are a fast travel from wherever you are but I like the convenience of having my own storage by my own crafting stations.

I meant Heljarken and there are 3 properties, 5 houses in Skyrim plus other free housing and 1 house on Solsteim. I presume there is a new house in Dawnguard as well. I still think there should be minimal safe storage available from the beginning of the game though. It seems to me that  good option would be a stall available for cheap monthly rent in every stable with just a trunk and a pile of hay. It can take a while to get the gold together to buy any house and they require other objectives a player may would rather put off. The cheapest, fastest and easiest bed and storage is the Mage's College. Though it isn't very convenient to anything it does at least provide safe storage just by joining and the most it costs is the bit of gold to buy whichever spell Feralda requires.