Where is my VR

Okay some guy started a post about future releases asking about what games you are looking forward to in the future i.e 2012-2013. This got me thinking. Back in the day when I had my snes and megadrive (that's right I was privileged enough to have both) all the games companies were saying how in 5 years (this was in 1994-1995) we would have virtual reality in the home..... where is it?? Who gives a crap about stupid motion controllers. I want to plug my console directly into my spinal column and escape the pile of excrement that is real life. So does anyone know if any games companies (sony, microsoft, nintendo) are looking into VR as a possible future.

Of course I get that you won't be plugging anything into your back within the next 100 years but is anyone experimenting with VR body suits, glasses and gloves etc?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 17 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

No VR but I might have a solution to tie you over till it get's here. Mind you it will cost you but in theory you could do this:

The AMD RADEON 6990 is the most powerful graphics card in the world. A single card can spread an image over six 52'  3D LED screens using eyefinity software. The setup would resemble this:

[View:http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/ATI/Eyefinity/eyefinity2.jpg]

The resolution you'd be playing at would be 5760 x 2160p and if you stand close enough there sgould be nothing but screen in your periphial vision. Now slap on those 3D glasses and activate the 3D option in Black Ops or Crysis 2 and you should be enjoying yourself just fine.

This isn't fiction, it's very possible, it's just that it will set you back around $25.000... MTV gangster rappers could in theory enjoy setups like this but they generally lack the intellect to set it up and stick to oversized suits and chrome hummers.

I'll be interested in 3D and virtual reality when we have holo-decks.

that is a beautiful TV setup, wish I had the finances to fund something like that. I fear I will be in the ground dead from old age before holo-decks or anything cool exists. Companies only seem to be interested in tablet computing etc.

The only way I'd be interested in every buying another motion control system after Wii is if it has virtual reality, if not then I'd rather use a controller like real games are meant to be played.

[quote user="voteDC"]

[/quote]

Either that or plug in Matrix style.

I wouldn't fancy the surgery that would be required for a Matrix style device.

[quote user="voteDC"]

I wouldn't fancy the surgery that would be required for a Matrix style device.

[/quote]

lol...I would...

Are holographic displays even possible though. Like the ones you see in iron man, A holographic display that you can actually interact with. How would you build such a device? it just dosent seem.......umm....... like its possible, i guess.

[quote user="voteDC"]

[/quote]I don't think I would ever want to see a holo-deck.  There are just certain things in games that I do not want to experience physically, like getting teabagged.  I'd be a raging lunatic if something like that ever happened.

lol... Tea bagging in VR 3D.... that would be an insult worthy of a raging lunatic. I agree that surgery would be a tad bit extreme. If you have ever seen a movie called eXistenZ they get biological ports in there back and plug into living consoles containing organs and brain matter... freaky idea!!! But maybe brain matter will have the needed power to create realistic environments.