When you play an RPG game ...

Do you complete the main quest first or do you take your time and finish the side quests to get more of a back story to each character?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It depends. Some RPGs have horrible side-quests that aren't fun and all seem to be some sort of idiotic mini-game. I could care less. But if they are fun and add to the main storyline and overall experience, I usually do them as part of my personal quest to finish the game.

I finish all the side quests before the main quest.

I take my time.  If I am allowed to wander aimlessly for a while (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim), I will.  When I come across a side quest, I will complete it.  Eventually, I will get around to the main quests.  I think for Fallout 3 and Oblivion, I had at least 20-50 hours in before attempting the first portion of the main quest.  I abandoned the main quest again and continued wandering.

For more linear RPGs (Mass Effect, Dragon Age), I find myself doing the side quests first too.

Side quests before main quests, as side quests will provide you with added levels and equipment which will make the main quest a little bit easier.

I usually do half the main quest, then as many side quests as i can before going back to the main story - i've heard that with ME3 though certain missions time out, so i'll have to adapt as necessary

I do sidequests first.  I have barely touched the main quest in Skyrim, but have over 60 hours into the sidequests.  

I save the main-quest for last in every RPG I play.

It depends on how I feel about thoser side quest and what I get for doing them, plus I happen to miss alot of sidequests in games so it doesn't fully bother me if I don't get most of them.

I always do side quests first.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

It's funny you bring this topic up because just this morning I came across this image and had a good laugh because it describes my RPG habits.

Like Tatakai said, I go on side quests before taking on the main quests so I can level up and be prepared for challenges ahead. The problem is I keep getting misc. quests! Every time I walk to a new location there seems to be some person who lost their amulet to thieves or there's some giant to be vanquished....it never ends. ;)