When Cornerer

Does any1 have any good strats for when you get cornered?  I no all the moves & can knock out a few combos here & there but when some1 has me cornered I just can't seem to get out.  I find that there are no great wake ups for the guys I use, ie, Noob, Cyber Sub, Ermac, Scorp & a few others (unless im missing something).

Ps, don't be telling me to not get caught in a corner lol, sometimes it just happens.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Well most of the guy's you use have atleast one teleport move. I would suggest you use a combo breaker to get some breathing room and teleport as soon as you do. It has alway's worked for me, unless your someone that has to do your x-ray every fight lol.

If you use a wake-up attack it helps a lot, since most of them have invulnerability when used as a wake-up. Also, Raiden, Cyrax, and I think Cyber-Sub all have safe teleport (as in they don't activate the flying ball when blocked). Doing an uppercut to punish a jump or a move that went over you also can give a lot of breathing space, or you could try to grab them.

I would recommend that you do nothing when you get cornered... What I mean is dont try to fight your way out because you will only make the situation you are in much worse..

If I get someone into a corner I EXPECT them to do wake up moves to try and get out and sometimes I will bait them to do such moves so I can punish their whiffs... So just sit back and block for a second and wait for them to make a mistake then punish or just get out without punishing if need be.

And also the same applies vice versa, a lot of people get someone into a corner then start going crazy trying to do every mover in the book trying to go for the kill. Just sit back and pick your spots and keep them in that corner with throws, pokes, anti airs, etc... Just pick them apart and when you get that good opening THEN go for your high damage combo..

Invincibilty frames do help like Killer mentioned but that only applies when they attack at the same time that you do..

I got caught in a corner against a raiden & could do nothing about it, I tried teleporting but before I could, he got a hit in mid teleport & stopped the teleport & I was stuck again. This happened a few times. I'd love a Ryu style ex uppercut to get me out but I havent found a usefull wake up as yet.  Cyber Subs teleport, will that get me out or will I get hit halfway through the teleport annimation?

Cheers.

[quote user="Lookitdisguy"]

I would recommend that you do nothing when you get cornered... What I mean is dont try to fight your way out because you will only make the situation you are in much worse..

If I get someone into a corner I EXPECT them to do wake up moves to try and get out and sometimes I will bait them to do such moves so I can punish their whiffs... So just sit back and block for a second and wait for them to make a mistake then punish or just get out without punishing if need be.

And also the same applies vice versa, a lot of people get someone into a corner then start going crazy trying to do every mover in the book trying to go for the kill. Just sit back and pick your spots and keep them in that corner with throws, pokes, anti airs, etc... Just pick them apart and when you get that good opening THEN go for your high damage combo..

Invincibilty frames do help like Killer mentioned but that only applies when they attack at the same time that you do..

[/quote]

I guess im not any good, I simply fall apart when cornered.  I've tried blockin until I see an opening, but when I try to uppercut or teleport out, I get hit again, there doesn't seem to be a big enough gap for me to escape.

See that's what I'm saying the Raiden you played was EXPECTING you to try things like that so he countered your move and put you right back where he wanted...

Trust me wake ups dont work against good players... Dont rely on that to be your saving grace..

No it's not that you're no good, you get nervous when backed up like we all do cause we know that the only place to go in the corner is forward right toward your opponent... which is exactly what you dont want...

I'm currently training someone in SSFIV and that is the one thing I keep going over with him cause everytime I get him in a corner he goes batsh*t and starts trying to muscle his way out... You have to keep calm and just block and wait, if he starts walking towards you expect a grab, if he tries to hit a combo on you wait for the combo to finish missing then go for a throw or try a small combo yourself that will hopefully knock him down..

Cheers, i'll try to go the calm route & see how that goes.

Cheers again.

I actually had a strange inversion of sorts today while playing online. I got my opponent IN the corner and wanted him OUT so I could do my flashy combo :) but the guy would NOT LEAVE THE CORNER. I even went full screen distance away and stood there and he sat turtlin, holdin that damn block button. I ended up doing a less dramatic combo and toasting him.