When 360 online support dies

I have an interesting question. As anyone knows, the 360 can only keep about 8 or 9 games updated at one time. After that, if you update a 10th game it will conveniently "forget" and erase the last update. For those of us that have more than 50 games, Does this mean that when online support for the 360 finally goes offline we will never again be able to download the updates and patches for all of our games (except 8 or 9)?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

I thought that stuff was stored on your hard drive?

^ Yeah it's stored in the system cache on your HDD, but there is a limit on how many updates can be stored.  Updates for games you haven't played get removed when you add a new update.

You do not have worried at this time. I personally would go just WIN8,XB1 and WP for my LIVE fix if that happen. But by then you would have gone to the next gen console already and maybe forget about the 360.

My guess is that limited, essential functionality like that will remain available long after they remove the ability to play and chat online, but you never know.

Most games will still play, but the little bugs and glitches that those updates patched will no longer be patched I guess.

[quote user="Dakrkplayer2"]and maybe[/quote]There is the issue.

And maybe.

I still play games on my NES. In years to come I'll no doubt, providing the thing still works, be playing my 360 games.

Games may age but a good game is always going to be a good game and I'll want to play them again at some point.

So if a game becomes essentially unplayable because I can't get the patch for it the that's just wrong.

I can back-up patches on my PC quite easily thanks to the game publishers. On the 360 I have no legitimate way to do the same because Microsoft do not allow it.

Many years down the line I'll be able to install and play Mass Effect with all the patches on my PC. Not so on the 360. 

[quote user="voteDC"]

I can back-up patches on my PC quite easily thanks to the game publishers. On the 360 I have no legitimate way to do the same because Microsoft do not allow it.

[/quote]This is something that should be allowed. Moving forward is good but that doesn't mean that we need to let the good things in the past  but that just my opinion.

MS doesn't care if you wanna play old games on your old system, that doesn't make them any money. It's like why each COD game is left to rot after launch, it's seen as incentive to buy the newer one.

All very valid points that are reason of concern.

I doubt microsoft will provide any alterations to this matter because of the reasons stated by UnyoBro.

A sad affair really...

Well to be fair they all do this most of the time.