Wheel stands

I'm planning to buy a wheel stand and was wondering if anyone on here owns one or has tried some of them and has anything good or bad to say about them.  I've narrowed down my choices to these ones:

1. XL20 Xlerator wheel stand.  This seems to have the advantage of being especially suited to playing from a couch or easy chair, because it allows you to sit all the way back and still have the wheel within easy reach.  Also since the steering wheel column isn't between your legs, it might be easier to reach all the pedals with either foot, allowing heel-toe shifting and left foot braking more easily.  The main disadvantage I see is it won't work well with a normal dining room type chair.
  2. Wheel Stand Pro.  Seems sturdy, the steering wheel column can adjust to different angles other than 90 degrees, works with any chair or couch.  The main disadvantage I can see is that on a couch or easy chair, you may not be able to lean back and still have the wheel close enough to be comfortable, so you're forced to either sit forward, or have your arms extended whay out to reach the wheel.  Another potential disadantage is having the column between your legs, which might interfere with some ways of using the pedals.
  3. Rennsport Wheel Stand.  Seems mostly similar to the Wheel Stand Pro, except as far as I can tell the steering column can't be adjusted to angles other than 90 degrees.

If you've used one of these, can you please comment whether the advantages and disadvantages I mentioned for them are true?  Since I haven't seen any of these in person I'm just guessing based on the photos and product descriptions.  Thanks for any help you can give me. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the Rennesport and I think its a good quality build stand.  All of them are good quality... If you are looking for an advantage between the 3. Keep looking!!! B/c there not.  

This is my rig...it's a GT2 with the Rennsport Wheel Stand and Clubsport pedals:

The upright column doesn't have to be 90 degrees vertical, but the way it's built, I think it probably shouldn't stray too far from that due to weight distribution.  Honestly, I've never had a problem with being able to reach the wheel, and as you can see I don't have a special racing chair or anything.  I just put a pillow behind me on the couch, and I'm perfectly comfortable.

I've never had a problem with the bar between my legs either...the pedals are out far enough away from it so that you have a pretty full range of motion to do whatever you would do in an actual car.  I can left-foot brake or heel/toe no problem.  Ok, actually I can't really heel/toe very well, but that's just because I suck at it...it has nothing to do with limitations of the stand...lol.

Really, the only slight issue I have with the stand is that the upright doesn't lock into position once you get it situated how you want.  It's held in place by tightening a large black knob (which you can kind of see in the above picture, just to the right of the upright bar)...this creates tension, which is generally enough to hold things in place, but there are no pre-drilled holes or notches for it to sit in, so with some spirited driving, it IS possible for the upright to work its way loose (I've had a friend over, and the upright actually collapsed and fell forward toward his feet.)  As long as you're reasonably gentle with it though and aren't yanking on it like a lumberjack (my friend's a pretty big guy who doesn't realize his own strength sometimes), it should work fine for you.

I built one years ago out of a couple dollars of scrap wood and a couple of simpson A34(L-shaped metal braces). I have thought about upgrading to a stand like one of these but can't see spending over a hundred bucks to replace something that works good and cost me about $2 to make....

Thanks for your replies, and special thanks to Trippul G for the detailed response and photo!  I can see from your photo that I think I'd be fine with the Rennsport or Wheel Stand Pro as long as I had a cushion behind me, and I like the fact that unlike the Xlerator stand, these stands can be used with a regular dining or desk chair also. 

Al jonesen, I thought of making a stand also.  I'm sure I could throw something together quickly and cheaply out of wood.  The thing I like about the stands I listed though is that they're pretty adjustable, and they fold up compactly enough to fit in a closet or corner.  If I were to make one that was adjustable and foldable while still being stable enough, it seems like it would be enough extra work that the ready-made ones no longer seem so expensive.

Sure, no problem.  I was thinking about the Xlerator one, but I think the biggest drawback with that is the fact that the upper portion where the wheel attaches, rests on whatever surface you're sitting on.  So for me it'd be sitting on a soft sofa...I can't imagine that would be very stable.

Between the Wheel Stand Pro and the RennSport, I've heard good things about the former, but have no personal experience with it.  For me, it came down to the simple fact that the RennSport was a little bit cheaper, and seemed to offer similar quality.

A little ingenuity and basic carpentry skills is all you need. I built one three years ago that suits my needs. I drafted a simple design and built it all in half a day, including my trip to Lowes.

I have the same set up. The only thing I have different is that I have computer chair instead of a nice comfy couch to sit on.

I have the wheel stand pro and I cannot say enough good things about it.  Extremely stable, well-built, and very adjustable.  Regardless of you body type and the type of chair you use, you can make it work.  One small exception:  I use it with a deep and cushy couch, and it is true that you can't sit all the way back.  I imagine this would be true for any of those rigs, however.  However, I bought one of those floor cushions with the arm rests to put behind me and the set up is very comfortable.  I can play all day and not feel back or arm fatigue.  The stand does not wobble, tilt or slip no matter how aggressive you drive.  When I am done, it folds up nice and compact.

The main thing is to have your wheel mounted on something that is sturdy.

Laying the wheel on your lap is not good for serious driving in Forza.

[quote user="Rhosh"]I use it with a deep and cushy couch, and it is true that you can't sit all the way back.  I imagine this would be true for any of those rigs[/quote]

This is true for the Wheel Stand Pro and RennSport stands, and any other stand with a similar design where the wheel is mounted on a straight column in front of the pedals.  However the Xlerator stand that I linked to in my initial post has a different design which does in fact allow sitting all the way back on a couch or easy chair.  Click on the link in my initial post and when you see photos of it you'll immediately see why.  There are also some more expensive wheel stands that are designed in such a way that the wheel can extend back farther from the pedals, which may allow sitting farther back on a couch.  For example see:

http://steadiplay.com/

I ended up buying a RennSport stand.  It was a tossup between the RennSport and Wheel Stand Pro.  I chose that design over the Xlerator because even though I currently play on the couch, I want to also be able to play from a desk chair if I change my sim setup, and the Xlerator stand pretty much needs some sort of wide seat like a couch or big easy chair in order to work correctly.  Also it looked like it might not hold the wheel as steady, since it would allow it to twist around when the force feedback kicks in.  A stand like the SteadiPlay would probably be more ideal as far as being sturdy and very adjustable, but the price was too high, and it's not as compact either.  

I like the RennSport so far.   Just putting a large pillow behind me on the couch solves the reach problem.  I do find the vertical steering column between my legs to be slightly annoying at times, which is a problem the Xlerator and SteadiPlay stands don't have.  But I really like how compactly the RennSport folds up. My wife likes that I can now easily put the driving rig away in the corner when I'm not using it.