Whats with all the online codes?

I do not understand why games that have multi player require you to buy an online code. If you buy the game new fine but used? I have to spend 10 bucks on one. Mortal Kombat has one Homefront. Bullet storm and I think battlefeild. I assume this is to pay for servers. I can only level up so far. Like Homefront I can only hit level 5 leaving me to have to pay for additional DLC to progress and unlock more achievements. I remember when games included online at no extra cost. It seems more common these days that companys are charging gamers who buy "used" copys of games to buy a online code. I understand it pays for the server or something but Is that really the reason? or are companys wanting more money?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I remember reading an article about it when EA started it, and all it sounded like to me is that the developers are doing it in order to make money off of used games. I think it's a little stupid really.

It's the developer. The developers are becoming money hogging people who don't care as much for the community as they do for the money. Sure they update the games, but they know if they don't games will be returned in aggravation by the consumer (which is us). As a result they found a sneaky way to make more money for anyone buying a used game so they will make close to the same amount of money by using these online battle codes or whatever they call it. No matter what they say, it's only so they can make more money.

once opened most stores will not take games back

in the used game market only the sellers (stores or persons) make profit

Well you still get exactly what you pay for. You buy a new game, and it has everything that it's always had. All that's changed is you have less incentive on buying used. As explained, that's because the developer/publisher doesn't profit from used sales, and likewise neither is your purchase contributing to their support.

Although used game retailers have lowered the price on the used games which support online passes to reflect this change.

The only publishers pushing these passes is EA Sports, and THQ. Mortal Kombat is a lone and first attempt by Warner Bro's, although retailers such as Gamestop do print out the online pass for buying this game used at no extra charge. So it's not as though this is a status quo, just a small attempt at publishers profiting on used game sales. The majority of titles released/releasing have no impact from this.

I don't think we can do anything to change this. Some people will say don't support it by buying games that use the code. Sometimes it is hard to pass up a good game.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

It's because of the used game market. It's hurting developers so developers are adopting this new online pass system to get the money they deserve.

When you buy a game used the companies that make the game receive $0 all the money from used games goes to the store where you bought it from they charge people who buy used for online passes in order to make some money off the used games. Hopefully the people who buy used games are able to get good deals because it seems the use of online passes is growing.

[quote user="DanteSparda504"]

It's because of the used game market. It's hurting developers so developers are adopting this new online pass system to get the money they deserve.

[/quote]And thats the debatable part. some would say that they have already gotten what they deserve.

I personally buy very few games new and its a pain with all these online codes.  

With all the games coming out and the DLC out within a week of release (Sometimes even before) Companies are expecting you to buy the unfinished game new at a premium price when its not fully finished. And once the codes are used the value of these plummets so any potential trade ins are dropped.  

It hits people hard who try to game on a budget.  That said there's no way these companies will stop doing it

Also Am i going to be the one who points out the elephant in the room?  It may well have been implimented to drop money lost from piracy.  Just a thought.

[quote user="NoScopedOsama"]

It's the developer. The developers are becoming money hogging people who don't care as much for the community as they do for the money. Sure they update the games, but they know if they don't games will be returned in aggravation by the consumer (which is us). As a result they found a sneaky way to make more money for anyone buying a used game so they will make close to the same amount of money by using these online battle codes or whatever they call it. No matter what they say, it's only so they can make more money.

[/quote]

You say it like it's a bad thing to want to make money. Aside from labour costs, there are also bills to pay, debtors to satisfy, and investors waiting for a return. Doing it for the art is always going to be a secondary consideration to paying the bills. And when you've paid all the bills, and you can spot another way to increase your profit margin, it is neither noble nor wise to ignore it. The whole endeavour is a business