What is wrong with my xbox

First let me say that I am not very tech savvy. I have been using my Xbox to play online multiplayer call of duty Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops as well as using it for streaming Netflix. I was using this through a wireless connection. I have a fiber optic internet service through Verizon which uses a modem and N/g, and was using the offical xbox g-wireless network adapter. This was working perfectly well until about one week ago.

My Netflix and gaming play almost never ran slow. However about one week ago anytime I try to stream anything or play online multiplayer it runs very slow. When I test the connection from Xbox dashboard, it always comes up as at least 3 bars and usually 4 bars. Yet, when I'm using Netflix it will come up with 0 or maybe 1 bar. I thought it was possibly just Netflix, but the result was the same streaming other videos through things such as NBC news. Also, playing online was never a problem, and virtually no lag or difficulty connecting. Now it takes a very long time to get into a game and then it nearly always lags. Many times I get booted out of games as well.

Again this is completely new. Up until about 7-10 days ago it worked completely fine, but now am having these problems. I have not moved my router or placed anything in between the router and xbox. I tried some of the tips that were mentioned in the troubleshooting page, but without any benefit. Any help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi,

Did you follow the tips from this guide? http://support.xbox.com/xbox-live/troubleshoot/connection-issues/performance
When you do the connection test do you get full bars?
When you search for your wireless connection, does your console pick up other wireless networks too?  If it does, have you tried changing your wireless channel?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

First of all, thanks for replying.  I did do some of those things, short of buying an N adapter (I actually have a g/n router at home).  

The odd thing is that when I test the connection it almost always comes up as four bars.  I'm not really sure what's going on, but it's almost like my xbox has a virus.  Is that even possible?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope. Have you tried using a wired connection between your console and the modem?

Sorry this didn't help.

try restarting your router and modem sounds like its a bit laggy

Sorry this didn't help.