What is the point of the beta?

I was a huge fan of BF2:MC... spent hundreds of hours on it... did not like the Bad Company games very much... I was a camera operator at EA's event at E3, and was blown away at the BF3 footage they showed... I downloaded the beta and could not wait to fire it up... what I get? A generic Call of Duty clone...

What sets Battlefield apart from Call of Duty is the epic tank battles, driving a Humvee whiole your gunner mows 'em down... flying a helicopter above the treeline and blowing tanks away... THAT is Battlefield... it is mystifying why EA would release a beta (which is, for all intents and purposes, a demo) that has none of the things that make Battlefield what it is...

A Battlefield demo without tanks is sort of like a Madden demo without football... just makes no sense...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I agree with alot of what you are saying, but dice are saying they are releasing it just to test the load on there servers, and according to one of their statements 6 times the amount of players are playing this over the BC2 beta so glad they did it just a poor qaulity beta!

[quote user=""]

What is a BETA?
So there seems to be some confusion around what a beta is. That is why I am posting this in order to clear it up :).

Give it a good read :)

When a new game is created or updated, there are several stages in development before the product can be sold in the commercial marketplace. You might remember our Alpha Trial from July which was the first stage, in which the game is tested by software testers and gamers. A beta version is the name for the second stage of software testing.

The beta version of a software release is considered to be a preview. It has most of the standard features, but is not yet ready for wide release or sale. During this point, the studio will collect feedback from users about the product's usability — what they like and what should be changed — before the game´s wide release. A beta version of a game can be either a closed beta, which is limited to a specific group of users, or an open beta, which is available for the general public to use.

Today, most games are first released in beta version for testing.

[/quote]

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/#!/bf3/devblog/view/2826551895466424877/

It is not meant to be a demo in any sense of the word. This beta is solely there to stress test the servers. As long as you know the difference between beta and demo, DICE don't even care if you have fun.

A Beta is NOT there for just testing out game servers. I have no idea how anyone has come to that conclusion. A Beta, especially an open one, is there for so much more.

-

Every game goes through the same basic cycle... Alpha to Beta to ZBR to Demo (Sometimes switched with ZBR to get out an early Demo) to Gold, or the final retail release.

-

A Beta is there to give gamers a taste of what the final game will play like. It lets us help the developers find bugs/glitches, help balance the gameplay itself, test their network and performance of the game engine, and much more. We're basically doing them an ENORMOUS favor by giving our input that they'd have to pay thousands of dollars to to real game testers, not just the general public.

-

Now the point of this particular Beta is really what's so baffling... It runs like crap, has no vehicles, etc. It's been said time and time again but it really is one big clunky POS. Some have said it's because they promised us a Demo way back when, so they're keeping their promise? I, for one, believe they're appealing to the Call of Duty crowd with the Beta, but that's just me.

-

Now a Beta should not be used to directly review the final game, which has the possibility (Not probability, mind you) of being great. What this Beta SHOULD do, however, is cause some concern for the game's release. I for one am going to wait a couple months and Gamefly it or possibly just skip over it altogether. I've grown bored of Modern Warfare shooter games...

Thank you matt for a coherent non-fanboy explanation of what a BETA is.  

IMO, if you have a BETA one month prior to your launch, AND do not put out a DEMO, then the BETA is your DEMO.  

IMO, the BETA of the game is below my low expectations.  I do not think they can fix all the issues I have observed and still get it out on launch day.  And I do want better graphics.  Why should I get subpar graphics in todays games that cost 60USD plus tax?  

And I would have liked the BETA to at least look and play better than HOMEFRONT.  And HOMEFRONT fits 32 players on the 360.  

[quote user="MattKohl101"]

A Beta is NOT there for just testing out game servers. I have no idea how anyone has come to that conclusion. A Beta, especially an open one, is there for so much more.

-

Every game goes through the same basic cycle... Alpha to Beta to ZBR to Demo (Sometimes switched with ZBR to get out an early Demo) to Gold, or the final retail release.

-

A Beta is there to give gamers a taste of what the final game will play like. It lets us help the developers find bugs/glitches, help balance the gameplay itself, test their network and performance of the game engine, and much more. We're basically doing them an ENORMOUS favor by giving our input that they'd have to pay thousands of dollars to to real game testers, not just the general public.

-

Now the point of this particular Beta is really what's so baffling... It runs like crap, has no vehicles, etc. It's been said time and time again but it really is one big clunky POS. Some have said it's because they promised us a Demo way back when, so they're keeping their promise? I, for one, believe they're appealing to the Call of Duty crowd with the Beta, but that's just me.

-

Now a Beta should not be used to directly review the final game, which has the possibility (Not probability, mind you) of being great. What this Beta SHOULD do, however, is cause some concern for the game's release. I for one am going to wait a couple months and Gamefly it or possibly just skip over it altogether. I've grown bored of Modern Warfare shooter games...

[/quote]

You're just gonna ride this into the ground, aren't you...   Unless you have specific knowledge of how Dice tests, practically everything you said is conjecture. (a : inference from defective or presumptive evidence b : a conclusion deduced by surmise or guesswork.) Do you?, because maybe I missed it.  That fact that your opinions run contrary to explanations provided by Dice on every occasion would lead one to believe that opinion is worth what we paid for it.  

[quote user="vibroluxor"]

-

-

-

-

[/quote]

You're just gonna ride this into the ground, aren't you...   Unless you have specific knowledge of how Dice tests, practically everything you said is conjecture. (a : inference from defective or presumptive evidence b : a conclusion deduced by surmise or guesswork.) Do you?, because maybe I missed it.  That fact that your opinions run contrary to explanations provided by Dice on every occasion would lead one to believe that opinion is worth what we paid for it.  

[/quote]Oh my gawd you actually post an argument.  Good for you.  Now I have a question.  If this beta is to test server stress like DICE says, then why take out the things in the game that will stress the servers the most like vehicles and destruction?  This beta was a marketing ploy to get BF players to buy MoH no matter what DICE says.

vib

Matt has a solid point. An open beta not only allows companies to test their code but also allows consumers to provide feedback. So in that sense it becomes a (light) demo in which players can get a feel for the game and make a decission if they are going to buy it.

Now with this beta Dice is using old code, with limited functions (destruction, no squad creation with friends) and no vehicals. I would be interested how this will effect their so called server load test? In any event, no matter what their logic is, one still got to ask "why they chose the map they did?"  

Witht he current economy and all these triple A titles coming out in the next few months, it is amazing Dice made some of the choices they did.

I dont trust politicians and I trust big companies even less.  Marketing is all about touting how good your product is and making money.

They will tell you what you want to hear but not actually tell you specifics..........I am going to wait this one out and then see what the final version is like.

Remember the Duke Nukem forum?

OP:  Game looks like it will suck

Response:  Have faith, the devs said it will all look better and be covered in awesome sauce.

Response #2:  Its the DUKE how can it be bad!

Response#3:  Your an idiot, DUKE will rock and it haz titties in it.

Reality:  DUKE sucked.

[quote user="BEASTmmb"]

[quote user="vibroluxor"]

-

-

-

-

[/quote]

[/quote]Oh my gawd you actually post an argument.  Good for you.  Now I have a question.  If this beta is to test server stress like DICE says, then why take out the things in the game that will stress the servers the most like vehicles and destruction?  This beta was a marketing ploy to get BF players to buy MoH no matter what DICE says.

[/quote]

Actually, I've made this argument 50 times.  Just like Matt.  Why take things out?  Ask Dice, I bet they have a reason.  Does it even matter anyway?  One of my points here is that there is lots of valid (to them anyway) reasons Dice did what it did, and unless you know them, you shouldn't be selling your opinion here as truth. I will agree with you that Dice hopes that some of you kids kids spend that $65 dollars you've been saving on BF3 instead of MW3.