What is Destiny doing that hasn't been done before?

I'm extremely excited about the Xbox One, but I'm also a discerning gamer who doesn't let hype control me.  Right now, I want to know what Destiny is doing that is truly Next Gen.  Other games have offered persistent experiences.  The market is littered with shooters.  We've all played Borderlands (or some other looter-shooter).  So what's special about Destiny?  I want to be excited about it, but as far as I can tell there is nothing new here.  I vividly remember playing Super Mario for the first time when I was five years old.  I've lived though every system but the Atari.  What is Destiny doing that hasn't been done before, and why should we be excited as 30-something-gamers who have sunk tens of thousands of dollars into our hobby?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have also been through the same thing.  37 and I remember playing Mortal Kombat for the first time or Doom!  I think for us that feeling is pretty much gone.  Yeah it was a cool experience playing cod 4 or bad company 2 for the first time online with friends and having cool times remembered.  But after several games of the same type I too lost that wow factor.  Destiny looks great from what I can see a halo style game with pc size lobby populations that will make for an interesting adventure.  I hope and I could be wrong that this game will be big, but I have a feeling that the game will launch with lots of glitches and needing several patches to get it right.  I don't know what the One and ps4 will be able to handle I may be proven wrong.  

[quote user="Ego in Arcadia"]

I'm extremely excited about the Xbox One, but I'm also a discerning gamer who doesn't let hype control me.  Right now, I want to know what Destiny is doing that is truly Next Gen.  Other games have offered persistent experiences.  The market is littered with shooters.  We've all played Borderlands (or some other looter-shooter).  So what's special about Destiny?  I want to be excited about it, but as far as I can tell there is nothing new here.  I vividly remember playing Super Mario for the first time when I was five years old.  I've lived though every system but the Atari.  What is Destiny doing that hasn't been done before, and why should we be excited as 30-something-gamers who have sunk tens of thousands of dollars into our hobby?

[/quote]I was wondering the same thing.  When I first saw images of Destiny and gameplay footage I was impressed, but as I have watched more I find myself asking the same question.  I can't help but think this is halo with different models on the characters.  I know it's not, but I am having a hard time shaking that thought from me.  Hopefully they will release some more compelling game play and footage as the game gets more development time and polish, but as it stands right now I won't be getting it on release day.  

[quote user="SparkStormrider"]

[quote user="Ego in Arcadia"]

[/quote]I was wondering the same thing.  When I first saw images of Destiny and gameplay footage I was impressed, but as I have watched more I find myself asking the same question.  I can't help but think this is halo with different models on the characters.  I know it's not, but I am having a hard time shaking that thought from me.  Hopefully they will release some more compelling game play and footage as the game gets more development time and polish, but as it stands right now I won't be getting it on release day.  

[/quote]

1. MMO on console
  2. Giant maps like borderlands with next gen graphics.  
  3. I'm hoping it will be similar to GTA online, but with actual storyline missions and progression.  GTA online is a lot of fun to roam around, but really it feels like there is no direction.

Activision will do to Destiny what  they did to Call of Duty. Bungie were better off with MS.

^^^ No they won't because unlike Infinity Ward and Treyarch, Bungie owns ALL of their IP rights and set their own time table for when their games come out. Rather than being basically owned by Activision, they're simply partnered with them. Bungie's relationship with MS was equal to Infinity Ward's and Treyarch's currenty relationship with Activision.

IMO, all FPS are the same.  What I hope will break this apart from all the others is the online gaming.  (teaming) To defeat the masses of bosses (MMO style)..  Clear an area, and then in comes a Boss that you can't defeat by yourself (MMO Raids).. You need a group to defeat it, Be it friends or random players showing up at just the right time.

To me, that will make it different if it works.!!!

I think I will enjoy just flying around in my spaceship for hours with my friends.  That what I look forward too.  I just hope the gaming systems can handle all the people playing without lag and glitchyness.  I want to be excited about this game, it just has to run smooth

At this moment, it is difficult to say just how many aspects Destiny will take from the MMO genre.

- We know there will be expansive open worlds to explore, with plenty of solo content, and group content where desired.

- There will be a level system in place with some form of a skill tree to customize your characters abilities.

- At it's core Destiny is still a FPS first, but contains RPG elements, much like Borderlands.

- There will be central gathering hubs for players, much like major cities or towns in other MMO titles.

- What is unclear is if the game's worlds will be instanced, or be open world where every player on a given realm/server can interact with one another.

All that being said, no one aspect is really new, but everything combined will surely make for an interesting experience. I'm sure there is a lot we have yet to hear about as well.

In some ways it looks similar to Defiance, just hope it doesn't become a disappointment like Defiance was (IMO)

I never actually got to try out the defiance game, but the whole idea of it with the show seemed interesting. Unfortunately even the show seemed a bit dissapointing at the seasons end to me.  I do however have faith in Bungies ability to make a quality fps game, can only wait and see how the other elements turn out.