what is a good sword to level up?

i have a +2 drake sword at the moment, but im kinda getting tired of it, but everytime i switch up i am just not getting the same results. i tend to favor the faster medium sized sword like the drake...what would be good to level up. i want to level my sword of artorois but cant find twinkiling titanite. also i have a divine zwylnyger or whatever its called. but im to impulsive for the slow swing times.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Pretty much any straight sword is probably what you're looking for. Use it and upgrade it to +10, then ascend it to whatever your stats favor. The halberd style weapons are a happy medium between heavy and fast.

Pound-for-pound, the Drake Sword is the best weapon early in the game, in my opinion.    It's fast, doesn't take up a whole lot of endurance, and has fairly high damage.  I pretty much used the Drake and a plain +5 club exclusively until I found the lightning spear, which I am still using as my primary weapon in my NG+ game.  I'm level 52 in my restart game, and I'm still using the Drake as my go-to.  But like Isaac said, level up something in the move-set that you like and then ascend it .

If you're still in Blighttown: There's the Iaito right before the first bonfire in Blighttown (coming from Depths-side).

To make the jump from above unequip your stuff for more mobility and eventually use the small wooden planks that stick out on both the area where you jump from and the area you are supposed to land to make sure not to be short! It's tricky and I left that sword on my first playthrough, but in my NG+ i managed the jump 1st try with equip load <50%.

Couldn't upgrade it so far (still have to fight Queelag) but I've heard it's a pretty descent sword (especially this early in the game).

Black knight sword taken to +5 served me throughout my entire play through and im still using it in ng+ its a real beast.

yes i did get the laito...but i need a little more dexterity first to use it. but yes that is the kind of sword that i like i cant wait to try it out

Unless I'm missing something, I think this is one area where Dark Souls really dropped the ball.  There are so many weapons you can find and upgrade, but the parameter bonus are usually so weak, there is really little reason to do so.    Everyone pretty much uses just the same 5 or 6 weapons.   I find even the boss soul weapons are disappointing.

Doesn't the Iatio scale with dexterity? If you have to put points into dexterity just to use it at this point in the game, I don't see any point in using that, as you must likely added to your strength instead.

yeah im prety high in strenght , vitality, and endurance, with very little faith and intelligence, and dexterity. but it seems to be working for me so far. dont really play alot of RPG's so i dont really know what all those categories are good for, may try to go a different route on new game+ if i ever beat my first run. lol

I'm pretty balanced so far and I'm more than halfway through NG+.

Most of my stats are around 30 now (VIT 25, STR 33, END 35, FAI 33, INT 28) - the other stats are quite underdeveloped.

Still couldn't say I have a [insert specific stat here]-build. But I'm pretty much rushing through NG+ so far.

Made it to 4 kings without losing my held humanity (and increased my held humanity to 32 till there - on my first playthrough I wasn't even able to hold 3 humanities at a time ;-p).

Currently I'm using a +10 Fire Greataxe, but as soon as I further increased my STR-, DEX-, FAI- and INT-stats I'll switch back to my +5 True Greatsword of Artorias as it scales excellently with all for of them.

[quote user="METALI0N"]

Black knight sword taken to +5 served me throughout my entire play through and im still using it in ng+ its a real beast.

[/quote]

I finally found and leveled up a BKS to +5 on my new build, and yowza!  The move set is still a bit slower than what I'm accustomed to, but its power/speed ratio is so good it hasn't been a problem so far.   With 32 STR and the Hornet Ring equipped I can do 1000+ on a backstab or riposte, and one-shot kill the NPC Forest Hunters.  Thanks for bringing this sword to my attention.