What happened to variety?

Remember the first xbox?  We were introduced to games like Halo, Fable, Jade Empire, Forza, Mechassult and Crimson Skies to name a small list.  Such a diverse and imaginative lineup of first party games.  What were we introduced to on the 360?  Gears of War....... and a couple other games they quickly forgot about? 

-

So what happened?  The more I think about it the less I know.  You would think that the more powerful hardware would lead to MS releasing even more imaginative games.  It looked like it might happen at first, with Kameo and Perfect Dark 0.  Both games I'd love to see have sequels.  Don't get me wrong, I love Halo and Forza, Fable is ok but Gears just got old quick.  I just wonder why MS stopped trying to have variety this generation, all of the sudden.  Will it come back with the next Xbox? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It's not MS who stopped trying.  It's the consumers.  Game companies make games, due to what sells.  Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo all sell REALLY well, so naturally, game companies looking to maximize profits hop onto that bandwagon.  It's simple economics really.

If you want variety, don't buy Halo 4/Black Ops 2, and instead buy something of a different "flavor."

^^ True dat.

-

A lot of people like to complain and say there isn't any variety out there, but there actually is. Between all current games systems and the PC, there is a ton of variety. I never have trouble finding new and interesting games.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Well, I just mean Microsoft published titles on the 360.  There are 70 million xbox 360s shipped.  Seems like now would be the time to bring back the niche titles.  I would bet a game like Mechassault 3 or Crimson Skies 2 would sell 2 or 3 million copies.  Heck a new Perfect Dark or Kameo would probably sell 4 or 5 million copies if they did proper advertising.  It's missed opportunities, I think.  There is really no reason with such a huge install base that they can't have both the big sellers and the niche titles.  

-

Who wouldn't want to see a Mechassault 3 using the power of the Xbox 360?  It would be awesome and definitely sell well.  Maybe they are holding back titles for the next xbox?  Or maybe they just have poor management?

I agree that now would be a great time to try something new with so many consoles in the market. I just don't think they will until next gen or if it is an arcade game.

-

It does seem like we have CoD clones shoved down our throats, but there are the rare games that are awesome.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Innovative games scare the average gamer.

But marketed correctly, people will buy anything. There is much that could be done. And despite the idea that consumers have quit trying, there are a whole lot of potential customers who want a bit more than COD, Halo and Battlefield. RPG is probably the second most popular genre yet all Microsoft well give us is a 10 hour long adventure series they like to call an RPG.

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]

But marketed correctly, people will buy anything. There is much that could be done. And despite the idea that consumers have quit trying, there are a whole lot of potential customers who want a bit more than COD, Halo and Battlefield. RPG is probably the second most popular genre yet all Microsoft well give us is a 10 hour long adventure series they like to call an RPG.

[/quote]Yes sir, I bought Witcher 2 last summer an it was pure landfill material, I should have dug a little deeper an checked it out thorough on YOUTUBE like I do to almost every game that I consider buying, its what I did with Borderlands 2 & F1 2012, the only game I see in the near future worth BUYIN is Farcry 3.

And I often wonder why Microsoft does not give us bigger games such as full RPG's. Could it be that they would be counter-productive with the sale of Xbox Live subscriptions? I just know that if I had a lot of good and lengthy single player to get lost in, I wouldn't care nearly as much about multiplayer gaming.

[quote user="Eggnogga"]

It's not MS who stopped trying.  It's the consumers.  Game companies make games, due to what sells.  Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo all sell REALLY well, so naturally, game companies looking to maximize profits hop onto that bandwagon.  It's simple economics really.

If you want variety, don't buy Halo 4/Black Ops 2, and instead buy something of a different "flavor."

[/quote]

you are a complete idiot if you think a new conquers bad fur day wouldn't sell, or star wars battlefront.

We won't see any real innovative games (or very, very few) until next gen.

With little on the market, they tend to take a few more risks in the hopes of establishing a new IP and build it into a franchise to last throughout the consoles lifespan. For the 360 and PS3, that was 2007. It's the year that defined this gen. Damn good year for gaming. Plus new hardware means new ideas.