What do you want to see from next gen console games?

There's been a fair bit of discussion about next-gen consoles.  Personally I couldn't care less about speculated hardware specs, I'm more interested in what the updated hardware allows game developers to do with their games.  So what new features and changes to game design would you like to see in video games on the next gen consoles?  Say any cool ideas you have, even if you doubt they will happen.

Some examples I was thinking of:

• Destructible and transforming environment/terrain -  I think very few games have destructible scenery on a large scale or constantly changing terrain.  This sort of takes away from the in-game immersion.  I think it would cool be for the environments in games to change from the in-game mechanics rather than from pre-determined set pieces.  It would add an interesting dynamic to gameplay if implemented properly.   A simple example of terrain change would be a map on sand or snow, and when you're walking along and footprints are left in the ground.
  • Improved AI - Some game's do have decent and adaptive enemy AI, but often they can be become very predictible and are limited in what they can actually do. Usually friendly AI characters are pretty awful and just seem far too scripted.
  • Bigger multiplayer matches and environments - I'd love to see multiplayer games on console take the next step up.  It would be great to have more  players in a match.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The same things minus the bigger multiplayer games unless it's an MMO.

- A truckload of players in the same lobby (64 or 100+) all playing at the same time.

- Use apps while playing a game

- Use two games at the same time with one in standby and the other active

- Standby mode for the console

___

Well, that's about it for now.

- Achievements

- Friendslist updated to 200 friends

- Fighting games friendly controller

- Bigger HDD when they release it (min. 250 GB)

More players is not necessary a good thing. Just because you CAN do it does not mean you SHOULD do it and 64 or 100+ players?

A huge 'no' from me.

[quote user="Dexter010"]

- Achievements

[/quote]

I forgot to mention Blue-Ray

I don't really care to see better graphics, but I'd love to see better animations. Pretty graphics are one thing, but what gives me a graphics boner more than anything are the animations. Uncharted is absolutely beautiful, but I feel like the best part of what makes it beautiful is the way Nathan moves around the environment. You rarely see the same animation twice. I want it to be easier for developers to incorporate that into their games.

Also want to see more color put into games please.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

More players is not necessary a good thing. Just because you CAN do it does not mean you SHOULD do it and 64 or 100+ players?

A huge 'no' from me.

[/quote]

I'm not saying all games need more players in multiplayer or that all games should be designed around acommodating more players.   I'm saying that being able to have more players and not be limited is a good feature.  Of course, it should only be added to games where appropriate.

I also second the more online players option. 16 players in a game is fun and all, but I want more. An option for more. Not every game can pull it off as well as some, so I don't want all games to default at 64 players, but I want to see huge wars going on in the future. I love the idea of more players. Some of the more fun moments I had in Socom were in Socom 3 in a 32 player match.

But again, it only works in some games and I know some dislike it, so don't force it down our throats, but I do want to see an option for them. I wouldn't want more than 10-12 players in a game like Gears of War, but I'd love to see 32 players in a game like Halo(with bigger maps, of course) and even more in games like Battlefield 3 and a potential Battlefront 3.

[quote user="Dexter010"]

[quote user="Dexter010"]

- Achievements

[/quote]

I forgot to mention Blue-Ray

[/quote]

Did you even read the thread lol?  I'm asking about game features and game design not console features.

[quote]I forgot to mention Blue-Ray[/quote]

I never heard of "Blue-Ray" is that something better than the current Blu-ray in the market?