What dictionary does AlphaJax use?

I'm asking because I tried to play "afro" yesterday and it said it wasn't a valid word.  I thought it was, and I did an internet search and many dictionary sites are showing it as a valid word.  Thanks!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 27 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

hi Funkdog- Alphajax uses The Enhanced North American Benchmark Lexicon (ENABLE): Originally released in 1997 and updated in 2000. This list has been in the Public Domain since its release. Visit the site where the word list resides.

AlphaJax at their discretion have added more words and more words will continue to be added in the future both proactively and upon request by the AlphaJax community.

^ Good to hear DogBoy, thanks for the clarification.

Ok cool, thanks for the clarification.  BTW, I think "afro" should be added!  :)

Yeah, I tried to play Wicca, but got shot down even though that's a legitimate word. Clearly some updates are needed.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Wicca

I would argue that "Wicca" shouldn't be included because it is a proper noun, but as I review the ENABLE word list, I see that "Pagan" and "Heathen" (as well as various forms of each) are allowed despite also being proper nouns.  "UnChristian" is also allowed, and it shouldn't even be considered a real word.  As far as I can recall, I have never been in a position to actually try these words to see if AlphaJax allows them or not.

Wicca is a proper noun, however pagan, heathen and unchristian have meanings that are not proper nouns, and are hence allowed. Remember, a word can have both a proper noun meaning and a non-proper noun meaning.

dictionary.reference.com/.../Texas

dictionary.reference.com/.../pagan

dictionary.reference.com/.../heathen

dictionary.reference.com/.../unchristian

It's sad to see hateful fundamentalist propaganda being accepted as definitions.  Personally, I don't think an alternate "meaning" of a word should be considered when it is flat-out incorrect.  It's like accepting "Jew" as a common noun just because some people use it as an insult (which is exactly what is done with "Pagan" and "Heathen").  I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see that it is accepted as well...

Murgatroyd7, I understand your issues and frustration. However, we have chosen to not be the arbiter of words. We have setup the rules and let the OED and dictionary.reference.com make the decision for us. If you can convince them to adjust the definintions and accept the rules, we'll be happy to add them.

I didn't mean for that to sound the way it did.  While I disagree with certain words being allowed or not allowed, my real beef isn't with you guys.  After all, it's your game and you should be able to do what you want with it.  My main issue is with the definitions that are being applied to some of these words.  It's just frustrating to see them being accepted as derogatory words when they are not meant to be.  At the very least, it should be listed as slang.

I'm playing scrabble and someone put yo and oe what does these two words mean can you let me

know tks