What can I expect from Skyrim in terms of storyline?

I know this is the 4th or 5th title in the elder scrolls series but I will be completely new to the universe.  Are these game self contained? Or will I be missing key details from an overarching story?  I'm just a little bit worried about that.....reassure me all is well.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

All is well.

You can expect a long exciting challanging game.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

There might be some references to past titles that you won't catch, but the story is stand alone and won't tie directly in to the other games. You should play Oblivion so you know what to expect. 

The story line itself will likely be (mostly) self contained (and so far as the main story line goes probably not worth paying much attention to).

The Lore of the games' universe is perhaps a more important issue and while I'm sure you will pick it up fine from Skyrim playing the earlier games will certainly help you understand the world and its inhabitants. If you're interested in information without wanting to actually play the earlier games (You should play the earlier games anyway) there's a lot of information on the games/world/peoples at uesp.net

[quote user="TheSilentCircus"]

I know this is the 4th or 5th title in the elder scrolls series but I will be completely new to the universe.  Are these game self contained? Or will I be missing key details from an overarching story?  I'm just a little bit worried about that.....reassure me all is well.

[/quote]

If you have to trust me on one thing, trust me on this. Get this game, it is going to be awesome ! Or you could always pick up Oblivion Game of the Year Edition at a great price now, and try that out first. Its your call. All is deffinately well though. :)

The books in game will help u to understands better the story and connection to previous TES.

You can expect to give up your social life as you know it.  And not see actual outdoor sunlight for many many days.  Better load up on munchies prior to release of this game.

[quote user="fotyfoe"]

You can expect to give up your social life as you know it.  And not see actual outdoor sunlight for many many days.  Better load up on munchies prior to release of this game.

[/quote]

Haha. I forget to mention this valid point you have brought up my friend. :)

thanks for the input guys, it seems I got the answers I wanted.