What Are Great Skills To Spec Into For Assassins/Thief Characters?

Right now I am playing a Sword & Board Character and love it..... I plan on playing through with him. I have been watching video's of Assassins/Thiefs and think to myself that looks amazingly fun.  What are are good character builds and skills to invest in for Assassins/Thief?

I was thinking of making one along the lines of IGN Skill Builder.

What is some good weapons/armor/spells to grab and how early of a level can you grab decent weapons/armor.

Thanks for your response in advance

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Illusion is a great school of magic for sneaky players. You thought you saw something eh? No, you didn't. It was only an Illusion. OoOoOooooOOoooOOooh! Also, I am pretty sure Alteration magic has telekinesis, so that would be great for thieves. Also, don't be shy to use heavy armor if you want. Though I wouldn't suggest it, but my battlemage character can sneak around in Daedric armor all day long. :D

I think sneaking around would be a lot of fun. I usually like to run head first into situations and overpower them. I do think it would be a nice change up to play side by side.

I am also playing a Thief/Assassin character and found the following are good skills to learn:

• Archery:  Great for the long distance/one shot kills
  • Illusion Spells:  The best I like is called Muffle - it silences your footfalls 
  • Sneak:  This is essential to master if you want to be successful  
  • Lockpick:  Of course you'll need to practise this if you want all the good loot

Take a look at all of the above links for more information into each talent.

Thanks !  This has me headed in the right direction.  Try this out and see how I like it.

illusion tree muffle, and inv.  also silent casting,  thief guild for nightingale armor or guild masters also take 120 minte inv for dong nightingale quest  lvl alch,bsmith,encht to add 50% sneak/50% 1hand dam to 4 items

go join the dark brotherhood right away and grab some shrouded armor.

I recently discovered how fun sneaking is.

My Khajiit Assassin has full Sneak Skill tree, Only the "Armsman" perks in 1-handed, I have not really decided what else to do... But just getting the Sneak Skill tree filled out makes you near impossible to detected.

I only went with daggers and not archery because killing targets from afar took out most of the excitement from sneaking.

Also for the sneak tree I must say IMO the Silence perk is one of the best perks. Being able to freely walk and run now and not having It affect detection has made clearing caves/dungeons so much easier

Obviously sneak is essential for an assassin/thief build, archery as well because there are times you can't get behind someone to stab them.  Illusion is ok because it supplements sneaking skills, but once you have enough points/perks in sneak you won't need the spells.  Light/Heavy armor would be good to invest into as there are perks that reduce the noise your armor makes or the influence the weight has on you (though the Steed Stone can offset this).  One overlooked choice that sometimes comes in handy on occasion is Destruction.  The Rune Spells can make for interesting gameplay, especially when combined with the perk that allows you to put a rune 5 times further away than normal.  With this combination you can place a rune out in a room, shoot an arrow into it and lure nearby enemies into the trap.  This also works with in place traps, so if you see a pressure plate and enemies near it, shoot an arrow at the plate and watch the fireworks.

I took sneak, pickpocketing, lockpicking, archery, light armor and one handed for mine. I grabbed light armor since you can remove the slow down that the armor causes and one handed for the dual wield and damage bonuses.