Well, well, well

I am sure a few of you saw my 'Uhhh' post I made earlier today, so I figured i'd do a follow up and post my thoughts so far.  Awesome, awesome game. Its a real shame I hadnt discovered the Fallout series sooner. I really like the fact you can explore anything and everything, even if it is useless. I also like the fact you can switch between first and third person perspective. This game is supposed to be an RPG correct? If so is ME1&2 similar to this? I ask because I think Ive found a new gametype to emerse my self in. After my challenge with some @ss using a flamethrower Ive really gotten into this game. I

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

ME 1 and 2 Are similar in a way but there are big differences too. I think a closer RPG would be Oblivion. It's the same company that made it using the same game engine.

ME 1 and 2 are also rpg's but nothing like fallout 3 or vegas, almost nothing to explore in me and even less to explore in me2

Good thing you decided to play the game more after the first disappointment.

I am that glad that you love the series ..fallout games are amazing.

Well besides the few bugs Ive encountered the game is pretty darn good. I just might have to go out and get FO3 along with Skyrim when it drops

[quote user="x24hrs2livex"]

I am sure a few of you saw my 'Uhhh' post I made earlier today, so I figured i'd do a follow up and post my thoughts so far.  Awesome, awesome game. Its a real shame I hadnt discovered the Fallout series sooner. I really like the fact you can explore anything and everything, even if it is useless. I also like the fact you can switch between first and third person perspective. This game is supposed to be an RPG correct? If so is ME1&2 similar to this? I ask because I think Ive found a new gametype to emerse my self in. After my challenge with some @ss using a flamethrower Ive really gotten into this game. I

[/quote]Mass Effect 2 isn't an RPG, Mass Effect 1 is.  However, neither are similar.  The Mass Effect series don't have the same open-world format that New Vegas does, the stats system is entirely different, and there isn't as much inclusion of your stats in dialogue and quest solving at that.  Also, whoever said Oblivion, not at all.  Same engine, but different developers (Bethesda developed Oblivion, Obsidian developed New Vegas), different stats systems, and different design philosophies.  New Vegas is also a much deeper RPG

Frankly, the most similar game I'd say to New Vegas is probably Fallout 1 or 2.  Fallout 1 and 2 are turn-based, sure, but they're still probably the closest things out there to New Vegas.  I'd say Fallout 3, but that really doesn't do New Vegas justice

+1 on the FMJ reference in your sig .Since Ive gotten a few different opinions Ill try to make this next post AS(imple)AP.....besides The Fallout series which I plan on purchasong at least FO 3 what is the best RPG on the market? Please do not include RPGs that have not yet hit shelves

I think you'll dig the Mass Effect series, it's like playing a 3rd person shooter with the story and progression of an RPG. If you really want an awesome straight RPG though look into Dragon Age: Origins, it's pretty awesome but you might not like it since the combat system is more about strategy than straight up cutting off heads; Even though there is a lot of that hahaha.

[quote user="x24hrs2livex"]

+1 on the FMJ reference in your sig .Since Ive gotten a few different opinions Ill try to make this next post AS(imple)AP.....besides The Fallout series which I plan on purchasong at least FO 3 what is the best RPG on the market? Please do not include RPGs that have not yet hit shelves

[/quote]Honestly, New Vegas is arguably the best RPG on the market (as far as modern RPGs go at least, because "on the market" technically means anything that's available), but not including RPGs still in development:

I've heard the Witcher 2 is damn good.  Albeit, it's only on PC so I haven't had the chance to play it because my PC wouldn't run it well, (although it's coming to 360 later this year apparently; not sure how well that'll work, but whatever), but it's supposed to be one of the best RPGs in a long time, and one that harkens back to the old-school days like New Vegas does

If you're looking for something a bit more nuanced though, I'd say Mass Effect 1.  Mass Effect 2 was good and a lot of the gameplay aspects were improved, but it was so horribly shallow that I wouldn't classify it as an RPG.  Not that Mass Effect 1 was the deepest RPG I have ever played, but it does have a good amount of depth and a good story.  And if you choose to play the sequel, I'd still recommend playing Mass Effect 1 first because your choices carry over.  Dragon Age: Origins is also pretty good, but I'm not much of a fantasy person

If you want to go back a lot further than that, then there are just too many RPGs for me to name that are good.  Assuming you don't want to go back pre-2000s (unless you do, in which case I'd say a lot of the games on this list are good choices), Deus Ex and Knights of the Old Republic are better than a lot of what you'll find today.  Morrowind is also good, but not as good (never been much of a fun though)

And then there's JRPGs, in which case, Final Fantasy is the way to go, particularly IV-VII with VI being the best

[quote user="MaulYoda"]Morrowind is also good, but not as good (never been much of a fun though)[/quote]Sorry, meant to say "never been much of a fan" (of the Elder Scrolls series that is); Morrowind is a pretty fun game