We don't recognize the computer you're using

I am getting this message when I try to add points to my Xbox Live account.  I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Windows Live Essentials and the problem still exists.  All other parts of Live and Xbox are working fine.  I would really like to know what is going as I have used the computer before.   I get the same error if I try to add points from another computer so it appears not to be specific to the computer.  The main computer is named MELFINA and it is the same computer I have been using.  It just started today.  I can still make purchases with my existing points but can not add additional points.

Here is the actual text for the message:

We don't recognize the computer you're
using

To access this content, please sign in on a
computer that's connected to your account.

•MELFINA

We‘re sorry, but we want to make sure that
nobody else is getting into your account.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

you have somehow designated a trusted pc on your WLID and can change it by signing in on live.com with your WLID and password   then go to account   and the management screen will have your options to change it there

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have removed any trusted PCs and I still get the error.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Redeem Code in the XBox Live menu on Xbox.com works so I am able Redeem prepaid codes however you can not purchase through that link which is what I would like to do.  I will try purchasing through my console but would really like to be able to purchase points through the computer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, VTanimefan! So sorry to hear you're having trouble purchasing points via Xbox.com. I'd be interested to know if you encounter any error messages when attempting to purchase through your console and if so what the error message is. Definitely keep us posted. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Purchasing through console works as well as redeeming codes using Redeem Code in Xbox Live menu on Xbox web-site.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey VTanimefan! I'm glad that you can at least make transactions on the console. I did see you in another thread inquiring about this, can I have you try the solution I listed there as well?

"What you can try to do to resolve this, if you are still experiencing it, is to remove the PC in question from trusted PCs. This can be done once you get that code from the alternate email address. After confirming the removal, the trusted PC will be removed in 30 days. If you have more than 1 strong proof (secret question, alternate e-mail address, mobile number, etc.) on your account then the removal period could potentially be 6 months. Since I know this isn't an ideal solution I would highly advise calling phone support to discuss since they can look further into your individual billing. I hope this helps!" 

Sorry this didn't help.

I can not get live to send me either a text message to my mobile phone or an e-mail to my alternate e-mail address as every time I try to confirm either one I get the following message:

Note: You can use your trusted computer to confirm this information, Sign in from that computer, go to the Account overview page, and then click Confirm next to this information.

When I try to add my current computer to the trusted list it tells me to download and install Windows Live Essentials which is already installed.

It shows both my mobile phone and alternate e-mail as verified in my account overview but not in the security section of my account and as mentioned above it will not let me confirm either of them.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also getting the above issues.  Is calling support the only way forward?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey VTanimefan! Can you confirm that this computer is in your trusted PC's by taking the following steps:

• While using Internet Explorer, sign into account.live.com

• Under Account Security, you'll see Security Info. To the right of that, click Manage

• There's a Trusted PC option where you can verify your PCs

Let me know if you've already run through this or if it's helpful! :)

@PeilAyr make sure you've tried all the steps suggested in this thread before contacting support! But if you would like to schedule a call you are welcome to. :) 

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried it and I still get the issue.  Also I can not confirm anything such as secondary e-mail or even my mobile number as it gives the following message when I click the confirm link:

Note: You can use your trusted computer to confirm this information, Sign in from that computer, go to the Account overview page, and then click Confirm next to this information.

Also I do not know if this is related however before the problem started my account information in the upper right on Xbox.com took less time to appear.  The load time seems to have increased since this problem started.

Sorry this didn't help.