Watching Movies on 360 - whats maximum size allowed for portable drive

I don't have any kind of television at my home, be it satellite or free to air networks, as I result, I download most of what I watch from the internet.
Currently, I am alternating between a million and one 8gb usb sticks, but I would prefer to have a single hard drive that I can plug into the xbox and leave in full time, that contains as many of my series as possible.

I've googled this a million times, I've asked questions on different facebook groups, but at the end of the day, my answer is no clearer.

What is the MAXIMUM size of the hard drive that I can plug into the 360, via USB, to watch movies and play music.

Searches online lead me through a million different sizes... some say the maximum size the 360 will read is a 32 gig drive and anything bigger is a waste. Some sites say 2tb is readable (but in my experience, no it is not, as I have a 2tb and it does not register when plugged into the xbox).

I want to buy a brand new drive to store my movies and series that can remain attached to the xbox for viewing, but I do not wish to buy an incorrect size, as I don't want to waste my money buying something that won't do what I want it to do.

Can anyone please clarify please, what size portable drive can I buy, that will be readable by the 360 for the purposes of viewing movie files.

Thank-you

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Xbox has been updated and can now make use of up to 2tb external hard drives.  Seagate drives are known to have problems working with the console so avoid them.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.