Was Mass Effect 3 destined to fail in the story deparment? * NO SPOILERS*

I haven't picked up Mass Effect 3 yet since I wanted to run through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 again before I did, but there seems to be a lot of negativity about the story/ending(s) to Mass Effect 3.

The Mass Effect series is one of the few games with a story and characters I care about, and I'm sure most people would agree with that. So it seems fair to say that most of us didn't want this series to end, and since our expectations are so high and our connection with the characters so strong, the game was destined to disappoint.

WITHOUT spoiling anything at all, how do you feel about the ending? Is it really as bad as they say?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The overall story is excellent leading up to the conclusion.  Mass Effect 3 has great story and is full of moments befitting the characters and story.  Its only like, 10 minutes of gameplay/story at the end that have people disappointed.

-

It was a terrible ending and thats unfortunate.  But not so terrible that everything you do and see in ME3 or even the whole ME story is ruined.

Nope, the ending really is that bad. Admittedly, the fans have a high standard for this series, but since Bioware had up to this point delivered on those standards, for them to drop the ball in such an incredible way was like a punch in the gut to many people. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

I think this is a good reference, and the criticism at the bottom of the page, I believe, are what most fans are saying.

"deus ex machina is generally undesirable in writing and often implies a lack of creativity on the part of the author. The reasons for this are that it does not pay due regard to the story's internal logic and is often so unlikely that it challenges suspension of disbelief, allowing the author to conclude the story with an unlikely, though perhaps more palatable, ending"

[quote user="SleeperSyndrome"]

Nope, the ending really is that bad. Admittedly, the fans have a high standard for this series, but since Bioware had up to this point delivered on those standards, for them to drop the ball in such an incredible way was like a punch in the gut to many people. 

[/quote]That's very disappointing indeed...

The phrase is "chumped out."

All of Mass Effect is based around the theory: choices have consequences. The ending of ME3 has nothing to do with any choices you ever made in previous games, at all. Not a one.

The story of ME3 is about gathering assets, uniting the galaxy for the galactic war against the Reapers. You recruit Turian squads, you find Alliance fleets, you try and broker peace between races who've been at war for, literally millennia.

None of this affects the ending at all. You never see your "assets" at work. You never get to see the effects of your choices in the playthrough.

All the play of the game—which is great—is translated into a dry number.

Suppose you get <species a> and <species b>, who've been killing each other for 50 generations to sit down at the table and broker an alliance. You never see the effects of that. Sometimes people talk about it, but you never get to see them side by side, kicking @@@ in the tenches. All you get is "+100, good job."

The game leading up to the end is spectacular. The ending is like turd frosting on a perfect cake. Sure, the cake is perfect, and you can ask for a cut from the middle, but stil...

Turd frosting.

All you get is a number. And that number has ****-all to do with meaningfully influencing the ending.

Suppose you recruit a super-galactic, kick-@@@ cruiser that can change the battlefield by its very presence. +25, good job, never get to see it in action.

Suppose you rescue a crowd of biotics, some of the most talented in the galaxy, who will fight on the battlefield. +30, good job, never see them in action.

That's what everything, included the Rachni choice from ME1, boil down to. Saved them? +25, good job. Never see it matter. Killed them? The Plot Nazi screams "No bonus for you!"

In the end, none of your choices from previous games matter. None of your choices from *this* game matter.

Retroactively, it makes all your struggle meaningless, because there are no consequences, other than the number which matters ****-all to the ending.

The best, most creative, completely fulfilling ending since the Sopranos.

[quote user="Toughy McBadas"]

The best, most creative, completely fulfilling ending since the Sopranos.

[/quote]HAHA! You had me excited until you compared it to the Sopranos...

Sopranos finale + Lost finale = ME3 finale. I would have even settled for a Return of the Jedi "Celebrate the Love!" ending, complete with Ewoks.

It seems to be the most die hard fans of the series that are the ones who are pissed... besides the stupid dlc thing at the end has me conviced well get a continuation and the real ending later for $10 if they feel generous.

[quote user="SMOKINSOMTHIN"]

It seems to be the most die hard fans of the series that are the ones who are pissed... besides the stupid dlc thing at the end has me conviced well get a continuation and the real ending later for $10 if they feel generous.

[/quote]

Actually, it seems to be a bit more than die hard fans. The die hard fans are definitely the most militant about it, but anyone who has invested time and money into the series and cares at least to some degree about the characters is ticked off. 

|

I even heard a story about on BSN a guy who gave the game to his ten year old cousin to play, as an experiment. The kid had no prior experience with the Mass Effect saga, but he fell in love with the game and was already planning on playing ME1 and 2. Then, he gets to the ending. He finishes it, turns to the guy, and says "What the hell was that?" Dunno if it's true or not, but I think it still highlights the fact that even a casual player is going to be able to pick up on the fact that the endings are garbage.