WARNING: Use your disk carefully!!!

Reason for saying is because of my little adventure....

Went to midnight launch, got home and received a disc read error from disk 2 ("play"). Took it back in the morning and the shop cleaned it. Got home and got disc read error (I'm removing and cleaning then resetting the Xbox each time etc, the usual procedure). Took it back a day later and they cleaned it again then tested it in store. Seemed to work so brought it home and it worked fine. This morning I got another disc read error!

The shop told me its my xbox  and the problem is "laser burns". I was also told that these are HD discs and are VERY sensitive, any slight movement of the Xbox and boom you have a problem. This hasn't happened with any other disk, any other game, disk 1 installed without a hitch and i NEVER move the xbox or any device that contains a disc in it. The shop also said that as of yesterday morning around 10.30 they said this was the sixth gtav game coming back with scratches.

You have been warned!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Never put your Xbox in the vertical position,i`ve only ever run it in the horizontal no problems for over 5 years,asking a lot of a spinning disc & laser to never be affected by gravity!

HD disc, huh? Very sensitive... Seriously, those people pulled your leg! My disc is not more prone to scratches than any other game disc I own. Should their statement be true and your disc really is abnormally sensitive I'd consider this a fault and demand a replacement disc.

[quote user="m4rtymcf1y"]

Never put your Xbox in the vertical position,i`ve only ever run it in the horizontal no problems for over 5 years,asking a lot of a spinning disc & laser to never be affected by gravity!

[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with the vertical position. I've always had mine in that position and never an issue. The problem isn't gravity. (If it was, it would actually affect those using the horizontal position, think about it)

The problem is with centrifugal force. When a disk is spinning as fast as these are, they don't want to move. So if you tilt your xbox in any direction or move it, the disk will actually bend because it wants to stay where it is. When it bends, it can make contact with other internal parts in the xbox, which will damage it instantly.

[quote user="Bambusbieger"]

HD disc, huh? Very sensitive... Seriously, those people pulled your leg!

[/quote]

LOL :D

Try flexing the disc then try another disc. Gta disc feels like a cheaper thinner material. I know there are excuses, no shop wants to hand out a game in limited supply but why would they say this then complain I am just another stone in the pond statistically? Then again the disc in the Xbox tray can easily move around....

Sheesh, I read that way wrong..Have been playing GTA V a lot mmmhmmm

This is why i install my games. In GTA 5's case you simply need to install it to a compatible USB flash drive and can run the play disc off it. This way the disc does not spin. Also it bypasses all the bugs and texture issues rockstar warned about when you install the play disc to the 360's HD.

And yes, any slight bump will scratch the disc while it is spinning in the xbox. I think everyone has learned that lesson the hard way.

Why didn't you demand another copy?  That's the first thing they should've done instead of "cleaning" the disc.  Who cleans a brand new disc? LOL. What a load of crap those people pulled on you.

They won't replace the disc as its "not their fault" they are blaming my Xbox for the scratches, consumer rights are difficult in this situation. Read Rockstars TOC's - it states any disc can be replaced without scratches.

[quote user="FrostedFlake420"]

This is why i install my games. In GTA 5's case you simply need to install it to a compatible USB flash drive and can run the play disc off it. This way the disc does not spin. Also it bypasses all the bugs and texture issues rockstar warned about when you install the play disc to the 360's HD.

And yes, any slight bump will scratch the disc while it is spinning in the xbox. I think everyone has learned that lesson the hard way.

[/quote]

That's what I did.  Load time when I start the game is about half what it was.  And leaving your Xbox vertical is a lot riskier.  Any little bump will give you a ring scratch.