Very disappointed so far!!

So today I managed to get ahold of an Xbox One after waiting in line at Best Buy for 2 hours....I gotta say that I am very disappointed and regret wasting my time!!....I picked up the Xbox at 10 this morning and here it is 10:30 PM and i have yet to play a game!!  It is literally taking hours and hours just to install one game!!  Even after you do the initial install (after learning that you have to unhook the xbox from the internet in order to do the install!!) you have to wait another god awful amount of time just to do another update once you get it back online!!  My game has been stuck at 98% for literally 3+ hours!!  This is soooooo rediculous!!  I hate to see whats going to happen on 25 December when thousands of Xbox's go online and the servers crash!!  Another "ring of death" crisis for MS!! This is utterly rediculous....I can honestly understand waiting 10 even 15 minutes to install the game but 5-10 hours for one game is crazy!! I would have expected more from MS...I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but clearly they have screwed up yet again!!  This piece of crap is going back to Best Buy first thing tomorrow morning!! 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 35 Applies to:

i would suggest that the disc is damaged, none of the games i have took more than 2 hours, which was forza 5, being a digital download of the game.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mazda,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Keep in mind that when connected to the internet, a game update is ALWAYS going to take precedence over the game install. Unfortunately, you have no way to monitor the progress when this is updating so the install process just sits at 0% with no progress bar available for how far along the update is. Depending on the size of the update and your connection speed will depend on how long the update takes. By disconnecting the internet, the system has no way to check for the update so it immediately runs into the install process. However, before you can play it the game update still takes place. So it's not really a work around but just change the order of how things are done.

As far as a possible solution, first try to power cycle your console, by holding the Xbox Console touch button for 8 seconds until the console turns off, wait 30 seconds, then turn the console back on and wait for the game update to complete. Doing a power cycle will clear the cache and reset the network card. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the game by going to My Games & App, highlight the game, click the Menu button (the old start button), and select Uninstall. Now power cycle your console, leave it connected to the internet, turn your console back on, and try installing the game. The update should take place first but please wait it out. Please let us know if this helps in resolving your issue. If not please provide us a status and we will be more than glad to continue troubleshooting your issue.

In regards to a possible server crash on December 25th, it is highly unlikely that Christmas day will have a higher server demand than November 22nd. I could go on to reasons as to why the game install process has changed with the DRM and always online discussions, but I would prefer to keep this conversation focus on troubleshooting your issue. Please keep us posted. Thank you,

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a birthday party yesterday for my boy - 9 eleven-year-olds.  He wanted to have an Xbox party (360's in two rooms and a One in the living room).  Here's what I overheard...

"Ooooh, you've got an Xbox One?"

"Yeah, it sucks.  Let's play Minecraft."

It seems that my frustrations have rubbed off on him.  He's witnessed first hand how many glitches and errors this thing puts out.  I bought him Just Dance 2014 for his birthday.  The install itself only took maybe 10 minutes.  The problem is that it stayed at 0% for a very long time before the install started.  It wasn't until the next day that install was finally 100%...though luckily it can still be played at 98%.  Needless to say, I had a room full of sweaty, happy kids once they gave it a shot.  FYI, six people can play JD2014 at one time.  This is perfect for parties.

I am remaining optimistic at least.  I remember just how much the 360 dash has evolved since launch.  I am hopeful that these problems will eventually be worked out.  Until then, my living room 360 will still be for apps (such as Youtube), rather than the One.

Sorry this didn't help.

Agree with the others - the installs shouldn't take that long.  I think most of my games have installed to a point where they are usable within 30 minutes or so.

Sorry this didn't help.

What kind of internet connections do you all have? I have installed quite a few games and never had to wait more than 30 minutes to install and longest install was Battlefield 4. Even then, I could still play single player while the rest of it was installing. I have read the complaints about long installations, but have never experienced them personally. I won't say they don't exist, but am still curious about the factors involved.

Sorry this didn't help.