U.S. Navy going to monitor gaming consoles worldwide

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/u-navy-looking-few-good-video-game-hackers-190930546.html

Read the link before commenting with your opinions on this please.  I am going to be sending out hundreds of letters to politicians and news stations in regards to this plan to spy on the world through gaming systems.  If I have to set up a website dedicated to an online petition in order to gather signatures and support, I will.  I have left out the details in my post because I want people to READ this article and give their honest opinions on the subject.  This is something that can potentially kill a major portion of the gamer population.  That not only hurts us as gamers but the gaming companies themselves.  I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say on this subject.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Alarming, for sure. Unexpected? Not at all.

Most people, by use of social networking, have already tacitly given up any claim of privacy by using those services. Ditto by using XBL/PSN/Steam. Not saying that it's a good thing. It's just how it is.

But I'm not sure why the Navy  needs to "hack" PSN or MS when I'd imagine they (MS/Sony) would share the data about messaging freely. I thought they already did that with law enforcement...

They are not only planning to monitor in-game chat and messaging, but also look at your personal information such as, your name, address, and credit card information.  They say, they cannot do this to American citizens due to laws, but we know that will not stop them.  

[quote user="Pakalolo Time"]

They are not only planning to monitor in-game chat and messaging, but also look at your personal information such as, your name, address, and credit card information.  They say, they cannot do this to American citizens due to laws, but we know that will not stop them.  

[/quote]

MS/Sony/Steam/Facebook/Twitter all already have detailed collection of data on anyone who uses their services. Is that really so shocking in a digital age?

Again, I'm not making a call on whether its right or wrong, but isn't this the nature of being connected online? Nothing to hide and whatnot?

Yeah, MS already does it. Why not just work with them?

-

"We collect certain information about you to operate and provide the Service.  We may also automatically upload information about your computer, your use of the Service, and Service performance as part of the Service."

-

And if you use Kinect... "If you use the Xbox console with Kinect, we may also collect data about the way in which you interact with the console and the Service to improve Microsoft products and services".  

www.xbox.com/.../livetou

Got news for you buck-o , you've been monitored for far longer then this.

Shut up, Craig. You ain't gonna' do nothin' about it except make this thread. lol

But seriously, I heard that they were buying used foreign consoles for, what else, gathering intel to combat TURRORISM!

Interesting article, I welcome it! Game on!

Well they're not going to hear anything but screaming kids, so the jokes on them.

Kinda scary in a way.  The way ppl think of grown men now-a-days is setting up anyone who randomly gets in a game with a young child and talks to them as a petential pedo.  So lets hope that the next time you play a Halo game and you're teammate tells you to [MOD EDIT] and you reply [MOD EDIT].....you don't get put in jail.

[quote user="Pakalolo Time"]They say, they cannot do this to American citizens due to laws, but we know that will not stop them. [/quote]

The way they would get round this would be to get other countries involved.

for example america can`t monitor their own country ,so they will get the uk to monitor it while america monitors the uk.

they will get all the information they want and there is not a thing anyone can do about it.

the only people that need to worry about things like this are the ones doing things wrong,and those people need catching.