Watching live TV through my XBox One was once awesome, but since the system update it's been problematic. Whenever I power on my TV and DirecTV receiver using my XBox, the picture is zoomed in and stretched across the screen to the point I can't see the edges. If I'm watching ESPN or CNN, I can't see the ticker on the bottom, and the tickers on the sides are half gone. I know for a fact that doing a simple calibration will NOT fix this problem.
Yesterday, an MS tech concluded that the picture is cut off because it's showing in 480p, not 720p or 1080p. To remedy the situation, he told me to power everything off, unplug every HDMI cable and then plug it back in again. He thought that would clear any errors that may have been going in a loop from the DirecTV box, to the XBox One, to the TV, and back again. It worked. The TV flipped back to 720p instantly. Then, I checked to see what the resolution would be if I powered on the XBox again. Again, it worked. The picture was indeed 720p and calibrated perfectly. Everything was fine, until...
This afternoon, I powered on the XBox One and the picture was back to 480p and stretched all over the screen again. The only way to get the picture back to 720p was to power off my DirecTV box and power it on again (while leaving the XBox One and my TV on). It appears that the XBox during startup doesn't wait long enough for the DirecTV box to output enough signal information for the picture to be displayed correctly. Since the update, I've noticed how much faster the boot up process is. Considering the problem I'm having, I think it may be a little too fast.
Of course, I could be wrong about why I'm watching a wacky 480p TV picture every time I turn on my XBox One. If you can think of any other possible causes, please let me know. Here's a list of things I've already tried:
1. Unplugging the XBox for :30 seconds to clear the cache.
2. Unplugging the satellite for :30 seconds to reset it.
3. Made sure the TV, DirecTV box and the XBox One are all set to the same resolution. XBox is set to 1080p (Auto-Detect). LG TV is "Set by program." DirecTV box is set to show in 720p or 1080p only (the 480p option is NOT selected).
4. Bypassed the XBox One to test the DirecTV box. Plugged HDMI cable from the DirecTV box straight into the TV to see if the DirecTV box still displays in 720p at startup. It does.
5. Swapped out the HDMI cables.
6. Reset XBox One to factory defaults to setup the TV and the satellite box from scratch.
7. Turned off Dolby 7.1
I really like my XBox One, but if I don't find a solution to this problem soon, I'll be forced to stop using the pass-through to watch live TV, which is supposed to be the best feature on the XBox One. It really bothers me because everything was working fine before the system update.