Unsupportive Support

Today, I feel betrayed by Microsoft. I've been a loyal Xbox 360 player and customer for the past 3 years. Yesterday, someone made a purchase on my system for the Call of Duty: Black Ops On Demand game. $64. It wasn't me. We believe it was my handicapped little sister; sometimes she'll mess with things and not know what she's doing. I didn't think it would be a big deal to call Xbox customer support and get my money refunded. I was wrong, apparently it's "impossible." Impossible to show a little compassion or understanding. I'm a college student... I'm not made of cash. The game wasn't even downloaded on my system. There was nothing support could do for me, the guy actually told me to take the Black Ops game I own on disk and sell it back to a store (for what $20?? Yeah right).

On top of all that, I can't even find a way to password protect my card from future purchases made by anyone but me. Also, since my Xbox live is connected to that account, I can't delete it off of my system. I've always strongly supported the Xbox 360 platform as the best game console against anyone who said otherwise. Today, I wish I was a PS3 owner. Sony may make mistakes sometimes... but they support their customers. Just thought I'd share this with everyone who'd read it.

Sincerely,

Jason Kienzle

TheKinz73

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

sorry but they say that anything you buy is NON refundable, as they have NO way to tell if you delete the mistaken download on their end.  next time set up your 360 so you have to enter a password to access the account or better yet, put it on a USB flash drive and put that in a safe place if they cannot access the account, then they cannot buy anything on that account.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There's a four digit family passcode you can use to stop people from signing into your account. I'm on support's side with this, they've got no way of checking your story is kosher unless you've got the whole incident on tape. Sony's support would likely say the same thing given the same situation.

Sorry this didn't help.

NO REFUNDS. Prue and simple, on every live item on the marketplace.

-

I admit I find it strange that someone phishing your account  and buying things with your money is "unauthorized access" but someone else using your account without your permission isn't  "unauthorized access" just because they are related to you.

-

Since the game wasn't downloaded on your system, it sounds like another xbox your account is on downloaded it. This can be prevented easily, simply by deleting the account off of the offending xbox. If you need your account on lots of systems at once, you can use a USB drive. That way, your account won't be on any system - the moment you unplug the drive, access to your account is gone.

-

You might also try getting one of those pre-paid cards and use it for xbox live and only xbox live. Load it with money ONLY when about to buy something.

Sorry this didn't help.

support.xbox.com/.../pass-codes.aspx

this helps too

this is also found in your xbox manual

not issuing a refund is not being not helpful

they cannot confirm that you downloaded it or not

in the age of cloud there is NO refunds on any digital services

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft is responsible for protecting our XBL accounts on their end, they do that. WE are responsible for protecting our XBL accounts on OUR end. There are tools on the console to prevent unauthorized access into an account, it is called a pass code. There are other tools available on the console to protect accounts even further, one such tool is called Parental Control or Family Settings.

If you don't want other family members to use your account when you are not there or at all (since that is what the XBL Terms of Service tell us) then you should set up a FREE silver account for each member who uses the console. Then either store your profile on a USB Flash Drive that you can hide/lock up when you are not using it OR turn off auto log in for your account and set a pass code on it.

If by PSN supports their customers you mean they allow hackers to steal our personal information and don't tell us for days then go ahead, switch to PSN. I'll stay with XBL since it has already proven it is a safe and secure network/service.

Here are a few helpful links for you:

Online safety and privacy

Get Game Smart: Home

Improving Console Safety - Xbox.com

Sorry this didn't help.

TheKinz73  Iam with you on your complaint just got off the phone with support and got the same level of non support and I was just wanting to be credited points as my four year old went from playing an arcade game to buying me a fifty dollar copy of halo 3 which I already own hard copy. We wouldnt want to put microsoft in the red by handing out a few live points as a refund now would we or mabie a little cash. As for the recomendations by everyone else as to passwording or storing your account its a hassle I suggested that mabie following Itunes and being able to password purchases would be the most ideal solution

Sorry this didn't help.

ummm how is passwording your account any different then iTunes model you still need to put the password on

If your child knows then password then that wouldn't solve the issue would it

It is always best not to treat a computer or a console as a babysitter

If you read the terms of use

it is the parental responsibility for all actions on the account this is why family accounts and family settings are there

Sorry this didn't help.

If your child gets your account baned who's fault is it? Yours for not supervising or xbox because they let your son onto your account ?

I'd never leave a 3-4 year old alone with games they can break them or damage the xbox or tv with liquids

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="CRAZY BEE"]

TheKinz73  Iam with you on your complaint just got off the phone with support and got the same level of non support and I was just wanting to be credited points as my four year old went from playing an arcade game to buying me a fifty dollar copy of halo 3 which I already own hard copy. We wouldnt want to put microsoft in the red by handing out a few live points as a refund now would we or mabie a little cash. As for the recomendations by everyone else as to passwording or storing your account its a hassle I suggested that mabie following Itunes and being able to password purchases would be the most ideal solution

[/quote]

So now MS is responsible for BAD PARENTING? You should have been supervising your four year old, MS even tells you to do this in the XBL Terms of Service.

If you allow or enable a minor to use your Service account or an associated account, then:

• You represent that you are the parent or legal guardian of each such minor;
  • You acknowledge that you are aware that some features of the Service, and some content available through the Service may contain or expose users to material that is unsuitable for minors, and you agree to supervise usage by minors whom you permit to use the Service. The Service is not intended for use by children under 13, except together with a parent or other adult supervision;
  • You acknowledge that we offer “Family Settings” on the Service and the Xbox 360 console, and also offer “Parental Controls” for Windows Vista and Windows 7, that are intended to help you limit access to material that may be unsuitable for minors.  By applying Family Settings to an associated account at sign-up, you may, among other things, help to prevent any user of an associated account from making additional purchases and from having access to voice and video chat, which is intended to diminish the ability of such user to communicate with other users.  You may view or revise your Family Settings in the “My Xbox” area of your Xbox 360 console, or by logging into your account on www.xbox.com.  Additional information about Family Settings is available at www.xbox.com; and
  • You are responsible for any material to which a user of your subscription either gains or is denied access (including as a result of your use or non-use of Family Settings or Parental Controls).   You acknowledge that use of Family Settings, Parental Controls, or both, is not a substitute for your personal supervision of your minor children or minors for whom you are the legal guardian.

If you use an associated account, you acknowledge that the holder of the Service account has full control over your associated account.  This control includes the right to end the Service, close or alter your associated account at any time, access and modify Family Settings for your associated account, and, in some cases, control purchasing options from your associated account and to request and receive device and Service usage information related to your associated account.  As an associated account user, this contract applies to your use of the Service, except for the following Sections: 5 (excluding this paragraph); 6; and 17.5.

Sorry this didn't help.

Temhotabot, if you're reading this, you are my hero. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Sorry this didn't help.