Unquenchable Fire deck discussion.

I really like Chandra's Unquenchable Fire deck. I use it around 51%  of the time. I've noticed in the last two days more and more ppl are playing it while in the first week almost no one used it (at least from my perspective). One thing I keep noticing with people using it though is Lava Axe and Sizzle get played in every version that's tuned to sixty cards. I'm here to let you guys know that against a creature heavy format (a magic term lol) that Lava Axe and Sizzle in 1v1 matches just don't cut it. I rank Flame Slash about the best card that's in multiples in that deck. Lava Axe might be good against Ancient Depths and Sizzle is insane in 2HG  but neither make the cut in my 1v1 build. Another thing... please stop trying to beat the mirror match with Dragon's Claw. I've wrecked two players earlier who played it against me... while I had Punishing Fire in my hand.  With that I'm curious how the community plays the deck. Share your tech and stories please.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Eh, my formatting skills suck..

Would you mind posting which cards you've taken out? I'm pretty sure I've got the deck about how I want it (I'd say I win with it 90% of the time) but I'd like to compare it to yours.

[quote user="XboxHatesMyPoo"]

LOL.  Yes but just like Howling Mine,  It's all about context.  There's a lot of decks that can utilize it a lot more than your  opponent (ie. Turbofog).  Most of the time I'm also playing control and burning creatures too.. All I'm saying is that when you have WOF in your hand, the goal then becomes "Get rid of my hand as fast as possible, by any means necessary". Even if that includes burning them to the face. I do this so that I will gain the biggest advantage. Whenever I cast it, It's usually the last card in my hand (If it's early my opponent has like 4-5 cards in hand).  If there was a card with the same cost that said "draw 7 cards, your opponent draws 2 cards"  Wouldn't you play that?  I sure would.  

Now on the other hand, I know that example isn't always the case.  I will admit that this is a card you can't just play whenever.  There are considerations to make as to when and how you play it.  But for skilled players, who always pay attention to opponent hand size, when they tap out, and tempo,  The ability to Gas-up to a full hand of Kill spells is too good.    

Look at it in terms of Wrath of God.  You wouldn't just play wrath whenever right?   Is Wrath bad because it kills your creatures too?   Wheel of fortune is the same way.  You play it when it benefits you MORE than your opponent. If it's sitting in your hand, It's because you don't need it yet, Not because its a bad card.  :)  

[/quote]

But it is a bad card. You can keep trying to change my mind all you're not going to. Sidenote: Competitively I've never lost a match to a Howling Mine themed deck irl. That goes for FNM and past Regionals (where it was played in Wildfire/Magnivore type decks). Card disadvantage is card disadvantage.

Take anything in the post with a grain of salt because I'm terrible… Anyway, I'm loving this deck and think it's seriously underrated with how few people I see using it.

There's nothing better than dropping a Flamekin Brawler first round and then being able to go to work with him on the next round. If you can keep the table clear of creatures with a burn or two and put enough pressure on your opponent until they are forced to remove him or eventually block him with a decent creature, you have a hell of a start. Add a Kiln Fiend to the mix and the other guy will really start sweating. And with a Cinder Wall or Goblin Arsonist for 1 mana, you have a nice line of defense for your early game.

This deck can start to get bogged down with enough blockers on the table, but with the arsenal of spells that will deal damage to your opponent, there's a good chance you can whittle away at them from behind the lines. Add a Fire Servant to the mix and you're really putting the hurt on them. The Fire Elmentals are fairly mediocre, but totally playable since not much else seems to fit in that slot while the Inferno Titan and Flameblast Dragon for 1 mana more can be total game changers.

I'm hoping that this deck along with Illusions will be ranked with the best, but I guess time will tell. No matter what, it's a lot of fun to play (except against the mono green deck, ha).

I've removed Sizzle, Ember Shot, Dragon's Claw, Goblin War Paint, Relentless Assault and Wheel of Fortune, but would be happy to hear suggestions for streamlining it even further. (Playing ranked 1v1 almost exclusively).

I still can't see much point in keeping Cinder Wall... people are always blocking the wrong creatures at the wrong times while letting other ones through.

Such as not blocking an unpowered Kiln Fiend before the attacker uses an Instant... or blocking a Flamekin Brawler on turn two.  Poor tradeoffs.

It just seems to be too much of a situational wall to be worth the draw, in my opinion.

When people bring up "old school" Magic in relation to this game it saddens me. Especially when it sounds like they have absolutely no clue what it was like to play back in the day.

Dissing Howling Mine? Really? Blue/White/Black control/discard decks with Ivory Tower/Black Vise were extremely powerful back in the day. Before all the good cards got banned of course.

As for the Wheel? In this game it's a HUGE card to have in your deck. All the arguments I could make for it, I'll keep it short and make one. What else are you going to play that's better? Fire Elemental? I'd rather have 7 fresh cards on my 4th turn, than an expensive non flyer with no ability that I can't even play yet. UF is all about speed.

But by all means call it "control". Because that's what you're opponent is going to be doing when you're dry and hoping to draw that one card that never comes.

[quote user="XboxHatesMyPoo"]

I think "Wheel of Fortune"  is one of the best cards in the game.   Probably in my top 5.

If you look at it by itself, it looks terrible.  But you have to think about it in context.  This deck is very capable of unloading ALL its cards by Turn 4 (most of the time).  This means if you get wheel of fortune in your opening hand you can just start burning them to the face, Then wheel into a whole new set of burn cards.  Sure they get new cards too, but by that time it never matters.  Most of the time, your opponent nets 1-2 "extra" cards, and you net 4-6.  If they net more than that it's usually late game and it doesn't matter because your burning them out that turn anyways.

I originally left it in, just for fun.  I thought that it would be a utility card that would come in handy, now and again, when I needed to equalize.  Since I've been playing it, I can honestly say "I will NEVER take this card out".  It has won me so many games it's not even funny.      

...Take that for what you will.

[/quote]

And I can honestly say I will never put that card in. As for dumping my hand while burning them to the face.... I don't burn my opponent's face. 90% of the time my burn is directed at creatures. I don't won't to start doing it again after I gave them 3-4 more creatures that I spent mana for. Playing Wheel of Fortune is similar to playing Howling Mine (a casual favorite). You spent your turn drawing it and your mana to use it and your opponent gets just as much out of it as you do... except they will probably benefit from it first a lot of times. No thanks. You continue playing your aggressive burn. I'll stick with Mono Red Control.

Well you do run a different build than me, however I almost strictly play Two-Headed Giant as well.  And I use Chandra religiously.  I just find it way more fun than any of the other decks.

And I also don't like Fire Elemental so you're not alone.

^thats awesome :D

[quote user="Bredfan"]

When people bring up "old school" Magic in relation to this game it saddens me. Especially when it sounds like they have absolutely no clue what it was like to play back in the day.

Dissing Howling Mine? Really? Blue/White/Black control/discard decks with Ivory Tower/Black Vise were extremely powerful back in the day. Before all the good cards got banned of course.

As for the Wheel? In this game it's a HUGE card to have in your deck. All the arguments I could make for it, I'll keep it short and make one. What else are you going to play that's better? Fire Elemental? I'd rather have 7 fresh cards on my 4th turn, than an expensive non flyer with no ability that I can't even play yet. UF is all about speed.

But by all means call it "control". Because that's what you're opponent is going to be doing when you're dry and hoping to draw that one card that never comes.

[/quote]

Howling mine is garbage lol. Of course you want to mention playing busted cards (like Black Vise) to get your point across. I'm wise to Vice Age. I use to play it. That doesn't make the card good. Here's another example: Grim Lavamancer. A great card irl Magic. In Koth's deck... not so much. Wheel of Fortune? A great card. I even use to play it. But it doesn't have enough synergy. The arguments you guys keep trying to rationalize with doesn't make any sense. 1. You can't empty your hand playing Chandra in the first two turns. 2. You don't have enough cheap burn. Oh... and 'good' cards don't get banned. Busted cards that shouldn't have been printed and warp formats get banned. Finally, I do play Fire Elemental. Go ahead and play the mirror match against me... let's say best of 9 games. Same 60 cards with one exception. I'll play Fire Elemental and you play Wheel of Fortune. I'll enjoy the same seven cards you got to draw but probably first and I didn't have to waste a turn drawing it or spend the mana on it. I'm sure I could take that match.