Unexplained Sudden Slowdown of the Zune Software

About a week ago, my zune software would no longer let me log in and download music.  After contacting support with no helpful results, I discovered that the problem could be resolved by opening Internet Explorer (even though I don't use it) and restoring the settings to their default state.  This fixed the login problem, but ever since then the software has become unbearably slow, freezing when I so much as right-click to edit an album.  I have confirmed that it has also begun using an unusually large amount of RAM.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no luck.  Now I'm starting to uninstall Windows updates for this months, thinking that an update may have been the source of all these problems (although this blows my mind since microsoft is actually the manufacturer of zune, and itunes runs better on windows than the zune software does).  Nevertheless, I have a zune pass subscription and I love the format of the software.  But I can hardly do anything on it anymore.  Does anyone have any insight into solutions for this problem (other than to call microsoft support?)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 73 Applies to:

Hey bud. So Zune is running slow eh?

Alrighty, so it started running slow after you restored your IE settings back to default, correct?

First, lets try changing the LAN settings. To do this, open IE>Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab>LAN Settings button>Uncheck "Automatically detect settings">click OK.

Restart the Zune software if you had it open. This has been known to improve the performance of Zune a fair amount. 

Let us know how that goes, or if you have any questions. Cheers! 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey.  Thanks for the suggestion. I opened up the LAN settings and discovered I'd already unchecked it at some point.  So this doesn't seem to be the source of the problem.  However it does remind me of another problem I'd solved in the past.  The Zune Marketplace had been running unbelievably slow.  I mean, it would take five minutes for the initial screen to load and about an hour to download an album.  Previously it had only taken seconds to load.  After doing some research, I discovered that users who subscribe to Cox were having similar issues.  The problem was easily bypassed by not allowing automatic dns server detection and by using two particular numbers.  I wonder if a similar problem is preventing proper functioning of non-marketplace activity on the zune software.  I'm trying some other things at the moment;  will let anyone know if it works out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eslyter88,

Does this issue occur when using any other Windows devices with the Zune software installed on it? Have you tested that to see if the issue is potentially tied to just that one device. Are you uninstalling the program from the Control Panel and then reinstalling it from this link here? Do any of those links at the bottom of that Zune installer page seem to help? Let us know. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't currently have any other device from which to test the software speed, so I'm not sure about the first question.  I have been uninstalling and reinstalling as mentioned above, and none of the links at the bottom of the installer page have helped.  It also doesn't seem to be primarily a ram issue either.  I've been experimenting with rdio, which uses up to 7 times the ram of the zune software with no running issues.  For a while I was considering installing more ram, so I'm glad I didn't.  At this point, I'm probably going to sell the zune, stop using the marketplace, get an ipod, and switch over to rdio.  It's just not worth the time and money trying to fix this problem anymore.  I'm going to miss a lot of things about the zune, but even if I were able to solve this problem, it would only be a matter of time before another issue came up, just like has always been the case.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just did a couple of things that have improved the performance of the software by about 40 to 50%.  I'm not sure exactly which changes helped to which degree so I'll just list what I did.

1)  First I stopped the zune software from monitoring the video library.  I guess I thought that it had enough on its plate with the music, and keeping tabs on the massive video files might be too much.  I'm relatively a layman here.

2)  I confirmed that Internet Explorer was not automatically detecting my LAN settings.

3) I'd been told that setting the zune software display to absolute basic level would improve performance, which totally makes sense.  But when you slide that sucker all the way Basic, it also says no hardware acceleration, which sounded like something I wanted.  So I switched screen graphics to the setting just left of premium.  One more nudge to the left would probably be okay also.  Oh and I selected the background "zero".

In the end, I'm not entirely sure what to think.  I DO still have some freezing and loading problems, but their severity has been reduced, significantly but not optimally. Will this allow me to continue my rocky quest in zune land?  My god I hope so....

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eslyter88,

Glad to hear you are seeing some progress. Is there any other way you could test your Zune account on a different device though? Maybe download the free software on a friend or relatives PC and then log in with your account to see if the issue does seem to be a device issue. Also, how big is your music collection? Is it possible that a large amount of songs are causing the program to run slow? Let us know. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have not yet been able to test the software, account, and music library on another device.  However, I have encountered a couple additional details.  The marketplace is functioning very well, despite the slowdown in the rest of the software.  Just wanting to be able to listen to my music without having to restart every five minutes, I transferred the music library into windows media player and I have had no problems there.  If zune were able to sync with wmp, and if the library organization were as effective as the zune software, it would be awesome.  Recently, in addition to the current problem, I began receiving error code c00d11cd.  I have read through the error code manual and have not been able to identify a corresponding problem.  Perhaps the two issues have nothing to do with each other, but the timing does seem suspicious.  Any thoughts?

Sorry this didn't help.