Unending Game & Cheaters

I won a game yesterday, but it still shows as an active game.  It just sits there under My Turns and won't go away.  Is there a way I can clear this without having to resign?

Also, is there going to be some kind of anti-cheating measure implemented at some point?  Obviously it's hard to verify whether or not someone is actually cheating, but when someone uses all of their letters every turn to spell words I've never heard of (I have a healthy vocabulary) and they have over 200 points after only three or four rounds, it makes me a bit suspicious.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is definitely a difference between playing against cheaters and playing against very skilled players.  It feels like my only options are to quit and lose points or draw the game out until the game eventually ends and I still lose points.  Is there still a penalty for blocking an opponent mid-game?  I really don't mind losing, but it sucks when cheaters not only benefit but also put me at a disadvantage by affecting my rating.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

can you please post up a screen shot of your My Turns screen and of the game screen itself please so we can investigate further.

Unfortunately, cheating is a hard problem to stop. You can block opponents but that will affect your ratings regardless of the state of the game.

kpatton

Argh, my post didn't go through for some reason.  Anyway, it seems that the issue has finally corrected itself and the game is no longer showing up under My Turns.  But I can still take a screenshot of the completed game if you want it for archival purposes or something.

As for dealing with cheaters...is there a bigger penalty for losing the game, resigning, blocking my opponent, or letting him force me to resign?  Or is it the same penalty no matter what?

The game is ended in the game way regardless, unless one player hasn't played in which case it doesn't get counted at all and is marked as a rejection by the user who hasn't played.

If you lose the game, you get penalised the same way regardless, and if you win the game you get the same points regardless.

kpatton

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me!  Definitely good to know for future reference.  I have just one more quick question if you don't mind...  For some reason, my wife can't view or send in-game messages on her Lumia 920.  It says that she needs to enable sending/receiving messages through the Xbox settings, but I have already done that for her.  What's weird about it is that she used to be able to send me messages just fine; during our first couple of games, we would chat a little while she was at work.  But now, the little speech bubble is grayed out on her phone about 90% of the time (when it's not, it still doesn't work).  This has been the case for about a week.  Any idea what the issue might be?  Her gamertag is TheWoollySheep.

check out this article and see if it helps forums.xbox.com/.../405759.aspx you need to go right into your xbox privacy settings, and it can take a few hours to update

kpatton

I swear this guy is using a word placement cheat system..or hes that good.

Thanks, Keith, but I have verified that those settings are already enabled on her account.  She can receive communications/invites and she has access to online multiplayer.  And like I said, she used to be able to receive and send messages just fine at first, then she suddenly lost the ability.  She only has a Silver account, but that shouldn't matter, right?

Annihilator27,

Just to clarify, you're not referring to me, are you?  It's hard to discern because "this guy" is rather ambiguous.  I don't think I've played against you, so hopefully you're just talking about someone else.

I read your entry because I, too, have encountered a cheater and I wondered if there is a way to report and block them from the game. I tried to place a word using an s to build onto an existing word. The game denied my tile placement. A few turns later, my opponent played on the word, building on with an s as I tried to do for 69 points. Also, in the same game, played codeina, (the word underlined in red herein because the word is not found in the dictionary). How is this possible? If we find a cheat, we should be able to block these opponents from the game. I love this game but hate cheaters.

Cheating in a game is a contentious issue - but there's no way to be 100% sure, is there? I've played games where I've firmly had an *** handed to me by some high scoring players, but I've also played games where everything lines up right and you *do* get bingos that just jump out at you (playing a friend recently and had three 7-letter words and found an 8-letter one to put me 200 points up on her - which earned me a chastisement for not being friendly and sporting!).

Suppose the only thing you can do is sacrifice the game and block the player so that you don't encounter them again.

The easiest way to spot a cheater is that they have no board craft. Picking up bingos and scalping a dictionary for unusual words is all well and good, fortunately there are no intelligent solvers to assist with placement.

One of the players currently in the top 50 was blatant, the rookie mistakes of leaving high ranking letters exposed to word multipliers, leaving vowels next to TL squares whilst consistently playing out of use words.

A good player should normally beat a rookie cheat with a solver unless they are very unlucky with letters.