Unable to purchase points, add credit card(s), OR add Paypal.

Attempt to purchase points

• When attempting to purchase points (either with my Xbox or on the web) with my exist AmEx credit card, I get the following error: Your payment instrument could not be authorized. Please contact your provider, or try a different payment option.
  • When attempting to add another credit card (a Visa from my bank), I get the the following error: Please enter a valid credit card number. NB: I have checked and triple checked that all information added was accurate.

Billing Support Attempt #1
I called Xbox support and was transferred to the billing department. The agent was unable to find anything wrong with my account. The agent tried to add my Visa herself but was unable to. The agent decided it must be due to my banks (both my bank AND Amex? Doubtful...) and told me to call them.

Call to American Express
American Express confirmed that not only was there no block against Microsoft or Xbox, but that there weren't even any attempted authorizations.

Call to my bank
My bank confirmed that not only was there no block against Microsoft or Xbox, but that there weren't even any attempted authorizations.

Billing Support Attempt #2
Now that I confirmed that it was not my banks causing the problem, I called Xbox support again to resume my ticket. I was told that the agent could not help me and she would have to escalate, and that I would be contacted within 24 hours.

48 hours later
I recieved a phone call at 8am that I wasn't able to take, so I called them back...

Billing Support Attempt #3
Despite being escalated previously, when I called back the agent told me that the escalation was unnecessary. After doing all the same things the previous agent tried, she determined that she too had no idea what was going on. However she now refused to escalate because "there was nothing anyone could do. You should check back in a week any maybe it will be working again." She also suggested I try using a Paypal account.

Attempt to use Paypal
After going through all the steps and authorizing Microsoft to access my paypal account, I get the following error: Unable to complete your request. The reward method you chose is not authorized. Please use another reward method to request your cashback reward. If you get this message multiple times, contact customer support. Message 8017. (Cashback award? Huh?)

Recap
I cannot buy points or add any payment methods to my account. No one in support has any idea what is going on. The best advice that I get is "check back in a week and maybe it will be working". What do I have to do to get someone to fix my account?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

Have you checked out our Payment Method (forums.xbox.com/.../19164.aspx) and Purchasing (forums.xbox.com/.../32.aspx) stickies for suggestions? Let me know if any of that helped. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there  Cowboy - I can definitely understand your frustration. We really want to help. In order to do so, we do need to verify some information:

• Exactly what you are trying to do when you get this error?
  • Are you trying to purchase a specific title?
  • What type of payment instrument are you using? 
  • What region are you in, and what region is your account set to? 

Thank you for your patience while we investigate this issue. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem, and the whole 8am  2 day late call happened to me too... Really bugging me. I've been on the phone with literally over 10 agents. Really starting to get annoyed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I want to buy the $99 FAMILY PACK and it keeps giving me errors !!!!! I guess MicroShaft is going to force me to buy 4 seperate prepaid Gold cards for a total of $240 if I want my kids to have Live accts... since they obviously can't fix their technical issues.

- - - - -  

Here are 5 seperate threads about the same issues (credit cards cant be saved online <or> bogus unknown errors when trying to purchase through the console). None of the threads have any response from Microsoft ....

>> forums.xbox.com/.../166804.aspx

>> forums.xbox.com/.../167244.aspx

>> forums.xbox.com/.../25362.aspx

>> forums.xbox.com/.../171704.aspx

>> forums.xbox.com/.../46296.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Regrettably, none of those suggestions helped; and as you can see, I've already spoken with several phone support agents who were unable to help either. I realize that it's unlikely anyone here can help since they can't, but I do hope to increase the visibility of these issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this exact same problem, and went through the whole "escalation" process, and I've tried everything you've tried. I just think its funny that I want to buy something from xbox but THEY won't allow it lol

Sorry this didn't help.

Just wanted to clarify, are you getting the same results if you try to remove and re-add your original card? Do you only get the invalid error when adding new cards?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just spent another HOUR on the telephone with level 1 support and next with level 2 support... and the answer is.... THERE IS NO SOLUTION EXCEPT TO SIT AND WAIT AND KEEP TRYING. This is obviously because Microsoft sees there is a problem but can't determine what the problem is.... so I guess I just got screwed for buying an xbox. ??

Sorry this didn't help.

I've spent 2 hours on the phone today and about 6 hours prior to that trying to resolve the same issues. No resolution from tech support... they basically said they don't know what to do (besides checking with my credit card company... blah blah blah). I've tried 3 different credit cards and PayPal - and my account wont accept ANY of them.  

Sorry this didn't help.