Unable to install GOTY add-ons for Fallout 3

Hello, I recently got an Xbox 360 slim 4g by exchanging my old 20gb fat and conected a 16gb usb drive to the slim. Now, when I want to install the disc 2 with the 5 add-ons for my Fallout 3 GOTY game which I bought sometime ago brand new, it tells me I need to connect an HDD. I don't understand why I would need an HDD when I have as much space available without.

This is quite fustrating and Xbox live isn't even able to understand that I do have the GOTY version and won't let me download the add-ons without having to pay for them.

So do I need to actually go out and buy an HDD (I had given my 20gb hdd in exchange as well since MS didn't bother properly explaining this and the guy at Gamestop didn't seem to know either) or is there a way for MS to actually fix this since I presume they put these restrictions in place?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 478 Applies to:

Some games require that an actual physical hard drive is present in order for some of the games features to work. Such games as Black Ops and Halo require this as well as Fallout 3. The 4Gb you have in the slim is not a physical hard drive but rather flash memory. Using a USB flash drive would not work in this case either.

If you look online or even in some retail shops you can buy the official MS brand 250Gb slim hard drive for less than $99USD. So yes, you will need a hard drive. Only get the official MS hard drive for the console. The use of any other hard drive would result in a console ban from XBL.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I do understand that the 4Gb in the slim is flash memory just like the 16Gb USB stick that I have connected as well. I'm very disapointed that MS is just trying to get more money from us by forcing us to buy the HDD to be able to use all the features. You have to face it, it's not a space issue anymore ever since USB drives are allowed to expand the memory. It sucks since I bought the 16Gb USB stick for this specific purpose at a fraction of the price and now I'm stuck buying an MS HDD ... oh and I live in Canada and retail shops have the 250Gb at $150CAN.

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem with Fallout 3 is that it came out when the maximum size of external storage was 512MB, which after formatting isn't enough for any expansions.  Fallout 3 will only recognise expansions stored on a 360 hard drive.  This isn't all Microsoft's fault, it is up to the game publisher to update their game to take into account larger memory units.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's the problem, on PC storage is storage, wether it's HDD or flash. On X360, you have HDD and flash storage which are considered as two different things. There should have had been no differences from the get-go. So yes, it is mostly MS fault because they created this situation but yet again you trow the ball at the developpers to fix this. When installaling something, it shouldn't be looking at what the support is, it should be looking if there is enough space, that would had prevented all of these issues and make the system somewhat future proof up to a certain point.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, i had your same problem, i bought a Flash usb (32GB and i can use only 16GB, another info a buyer should have known, never mind) to play GOTY. i solved installing the DLCs (even just) on a my friend's xbox with HD, and afther i moved their from the HD to my usb flash. this isn't the definitive solution, but is something, maybe you can ask to your vendor the favor to help you. I think you're right saying that the fault lies with the xbox, It can use the flash usb like HD to install a game, but it can't to install DLC, but it can play DLC already installed...what little BUG :)

By the way, the game is beautiful, and sorry for my english, I am made to help from google translate, i'm italian.

I hope to check out was useful

Bye

Sorry this didn't help.