Unable to add PayPal as a payment option

Whenever I try to add PayPal as a payment method to my account, I receive an error - see below.  I used to have it added, but removed it yesterday because I didn't want my niece and nephew buying content when they were playing games unattended.  Later that afternoon I tried to add it back and haven't been able to. 

I've verified all my billing information is ithe same between PayPal and my XBox Live account.  I have a positive balance with PayPal.

I checked the billing.microsoft.com site and everything looks fine there.

On May 10 2012 your Chat support suggested waiting 24 hours and trying again, but still no go.  The service request number from that chat was 1176625029.

What type of payment method are you trying to add?

PayPal

What error code or message are you receiving?

"Can't retrieve information from Xbox LIVE.  Please try again later.  Status code:  8382025C"

What region is your account set to?

Canada

What region do you physically connect from?

Canada

What region is your payment method's billing address in?

Canada

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2018 Views 628 Applies to:

Hey there Bailey! I've checked into that error code and it is suggesting that your PayPal account may not meet some of the requirements set up by Xbox LIVE. Can you confirm that your PayPal account has an attached credit card, confirmed bank account, or positive money balance on it? Do you have another PayPal account that you could try linking to the account, just to test with? Let me know, thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have an attached credit card, but I do have a confirmed bank account, and a positive money balance on the account.  I don't have another account I could try linking.  But as I stated in my original post, I was able to link this account before, and can't now...

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem. I looked at many places but nowhere I could find a good awnser.

Sorry this didn't help.

To successfully use a Paypal account as an Xbox Live payment method, you must have a billing agreement ID from Paypal, which will set permissions to allow reoccurring payments... the issue, usually, is that Paypal may be ready to accept the charge, but won't authorize it for automatic renewal... this kind of block can occur if you have previously used it, removed it (thus ending the agreement), and then attempt to start it again... I would suggest contacting Paypal to check if they have a block in place and ask them to remove it!

Hope this helps your situation, if not let us know and we'll see what other options we have!

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, no go there after a lot of back and forth, and they say that the Xbox Live payment method signup should be going through.  They don't have any additional details on what the status code might mean either...

Sorry this didn't help.

If everything is properly configured on https://billing.microsoft.com according to this sticky: forums.xbox.com/.../153161.aspx and you have confirmed with PayPal that everything is good on there end then the next step would be to get in touch with phone support for your region. They should be able to assist you further with this. Keep us posted!

Sorry this didn't help.