Ugh.. anyone else think this is overrated?

This game seems to get universal love from everyone but me.  Anyone else think this is the most overrated title in years?

The boss fights, love 'em... brilliant.  Would keep playing the game if it weren't for the #1 thing I cannot stand about this title.  Having to keep going through the same rinky dink mobs to get back to the boss that keeps killing me.  They aren't even difficult, just block once and then speed attack at will.  It's tedious, repetitive, and dull.  Fighting the bosses over and over... I'm cool with that.... fighting their minions of mouth-breathers... over and over again... not so much.

The reviewer at gamespot called the game fair.  Really?  This is one of the cheapest titles I've ever played.  So many things hit you from nowhere that you have no chance of being prepared for.  No amount of skill in the world prepares you for some of the cheap stuff this game throws at you.  It doesn't feel fair, it feels cheap.

Honestly, as an old school gamer I love that a lot of people appreciate the 'difficulty' and challenge of the game.  It reminds me of old school games like Punch-out, you gotta figure out the seemingly impossible boss's weakness and exploit it.  You constantly get to be David slaying Goliath.  I get that, I love that, it's the other crap that kills it for me.  No way am I going through the same mundane crap over and over and over and over and over.... just to get to the good stuff.  Trading this thing in.  Most overrated title I have played in years.  Glad a lot of people are loving it, but blegh, about as enjoyable as eating sand.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Hopfrogg"]Trading this thing in.  Most overrated title I have played in years.[/quote]

Okay. At least you gave it shot. Though, I don't agree with your opinion. I don't hear many people talking about the title at all unless go looking for it. So it's far from being overrated to me.

Yeah, I wanted to give it a shot because of all the love it is getting.  Was just wondering if anyone else felt like I do, or I am completely alone on thinking it's overrated.  Don't get me wrong, the best part of this game, the boss fights, flippin brilliant.  I just can't imagine people are able to stand going through all those crap mobs over and over to get to the bosses.

Nope.  This game is brilliant, and compared to Demons Souls, actually a bit easier in some sense.  At least when you die, you dont go heading back to the beginning of the level.  Demons, and Dark Souls are games known for the difficulty, so yes a few things may seem "cheap", but then again, the game wasnt designed to be easy.

Most of the game is fair and hard.  There have been a few instances where it has been cheap, but usually this is a random event and wasn't planned to happen.  These cheap moments usually dont occur when I revisit the same spot, or I find out how to avoid the situation or approuch it in a different way.  I did open a treasure chest yesterday, and it ate me....WHICH WAS COMPLETE BS!!!  But overall I have only encountered a couple cheap BS moments....the other times I thought it was cheap, I just needed to approuch it in a different way(eg dodging instead of blocking).

It has some grind to it, if your not familiar with that term it's origins are in massively multiplayer online games, but if you've played those games you're used to it.  Personally I am fine with grind if there's loot in it for my character.  It plays a lot like an MMO without the annoying people spamming the chat channel and the $15 a month to play.  But I love the game, it's gorgeous, the combat is challenging and the PK keeps it fresh.

Yeah, the cheapness, I can deal with that.  I still wouldn't call the game fair, but the occasional cheap hit you from the blindside cheap shot is ok as long as it is cool or humorous, which I will say, the cheapshot have been.

Am I missing something though with regards to going through the same trash mobs over and over?  When the boss kills you all the trash mobs respawn and the closest you can get to the boss is the nearest bonfire, correct?  The Knight who yields the Dragon's Talon, there is about 20 trash mobs I gotta go through each time to get back to him.  Is that just the way the game is or am I missing a game mechanic? I made that run about half a dozen times before I decided life was too short for that.

Umm, you could try not losing to the boss so many times heh,.  What you should be doing is putting down a sign and helping people do it as a phantom until you are confident you can take out the boss, not dying to the same boss twenty times and running back every time.  And you should also be summoning a full party to take on the boss, you and two phantom players, that's what they are scaled for.  If you're still dying after that your equipment probably isn't up to snuff.

Try not losing to the boss so many times... in this game!?!  That seems unavoidable.  I'm not worried about beating the boss, took 6 attempts to beat the first one and this one clearly just needs a roll to his blindside and then a backstab.  I just know that regardless of equipment or summoning help, a lot of these boss battles will bear lots of repeated attempts.  I just want to know if you can expect to repeatedly go through all the trash mobs each time to get there.  Thanks for the advice though, I will certainly heed it.

Only boss that gave me trouble so far was the Capra demon but that was because it was a tiny room and I wear knight armor, solution, I put on thief armor and took him out solo first time I changed up my armor.  Every thing else up to the gap dragon I got first try, after doing run throughs helping other players as a phantom that is.  But I also have my armor upgraded to +6 so far.  Maybe you're going against them too soon?  Need more level and armor upgrades.  I try to hold my level down though as well, you don't want level too fast before your gear is upgraded because that will leave you a sitting duck for player killers.

[quote user="Hopfrogg"]

Try not losing to the boss so many times... in this game!?!  That seems unavoidable.  I'm not worried about beating the boss, took 6 attempts to beat the first one and this one clearly just needs a roll to his blindside and then a backstab.  I just know that regardless of equipment or summoning help, a lot of these boss battles will bear lots of repeated attempts.  I just want to know if you can expect to repeatedly go through all the trash mobs each time to get there.  Thanks for the advice though, I will certainly heed it.

[/quote]

If you die, then yes you will always have to go through the mobs to get back.  Sometimes, this can be helpful, as in, go through the mob, die before boss, go through again, regain your souls, find merchant, buy equipment, or level up.  To fight a boss, look around the area for merchants, they usually sell some nice stuff, and look out for random loot.  Most bosses have a weakness, its just trying to find it.  Look on the ground for the signs to help you through, many people leave hints, telling you about an ambush, treasure, weaknesses, use them, theyre helpful.