Two Xbox One's, one game, same house

So this is the question: If I have two Xbox one's in my house and I purchase one game via digital download can my son AND I play the game online, or at least on our LAN (co-op), if the game is downloaded on both system or do I need to purchase two games, one under my gamertag and one under his gamertag to be able to do this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8,723 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You can play one game on two xboxs. The best way to do it would be to have his console set as your Home console. Download the game on the console, and now he has access to the game. Now go to the other console and download your profile and redownload the game. Now he can play the game on the first console while you are playing the game on the other.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It sounds good but I have my doubts. I would guess that you could play the same game on different consoles with a different gamertag if you're not online. However, I'm also guessing that once you try to play online via Xbox Live it would only allow one copy of the game linked to a specific gamertag to be played at any given time. I have a hard time believing that MS would allow digital download games to be able to do this but not disk based games (as you need the disk in the drive to play).  It would be nice if it was the case and I hope an actual MS rep could comment on it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sure the 360 works the exact same way x34hrs2lievx describes and I believe the Xbox One is the same.

It should be easy for you to test out if you have bought a digital game already.

IRB

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

The link says nothing in regards to my question. It only states that people on the same Family Gold account can access the game and play multiplayer, not whether or not persons in the same household can play online with a single copy of a game. My guess is, like the 360, you will need two separate copies of the game. IRB, the xbox 360 needs two separate copies of the same game for people in the same house to play the same game online. It's not easy to test out because I have not purchased a second XB1 yet. I am waiting for a definitive regarding this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just got off the phone with Xbox One support, and as suspected you CANNOT play one game on two Xbox One's online. You must own two copies of the game. One would have to be linked to my gamertag and the other would need to be linked to my son's gamertag. After rereading your answer, x34hrs2lievx, I think you may not have understood my question, I was only referring to online.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi spec24.

If the game is a digital game, you don't need 2 copies on the 360 per se. When you make a purchase you get two licenses to the game, one for the console it was purchased on and one for your gamertag. Anyone on the console used to purchase can play the full game, and you can play the game on any console while signed in to Xbox LIVE. this means you could play the game on a second console while someone else plays the other copy purchased on the main console.

The online sharing on Xbox One is supposed to allow ANY account on your main console access to Gold services if you have a gold account on that xbox. The link x24hrs2livex posted shows this.

IRB

Sorry this didn't help.

We play minecraft on the 360 this way all the time. My son installed the game on his account. He goes to the second console and logs in and can play. I log into the main system (where we originally downloaded and installed the game) and we play together.

Sorry this didn't help.

The xbox 360 does indeed allow games to be played this way. My son and I play Minecraft this way all the time.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this is an old thread, but I can confirm this works.  you have to install the digital game on both xbox ones using the account it was purchased on, then make one of them the home xbox for that specific account. Once its installed, the account that purchased the game should be signed in to the xbox that is not his home xbox, and the second account signed in on the home xbox. if you assign each xbox to "home" one of the accounts, just sign in to the opposite to play the game.

The way this works is you are allowed to play any games that the xbox owner has purchased on his home xbox even when hes not signed in.  The owner of the game is also allowed to play his game on any xbox that he can install it on.  

So if you bought the game on your account, follow these steps:  (i use "your xbox" and "his xbox" as the xbox you will play on, and the xbox he will play on, respectively.)

1:  Using the account it was purchased on, Install the game on both Xbox ones.  

2:  Make his xbox Your Home Xbox by signing into your account and selecting the option in settings.

3.  Sign in on your xbox and play the game.

4.  He signs in on his xbox to play the game.

Works with all of our games so far. COD ghosts, Titanfall, peggle, and it should work with others as well.

Sorry this didn't help.