Two lost genre's.

Do you remember light gun games and cinema games? Cinema games started on the Sega CD.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

As far as I know, actual light guns don't function with LCD or plasma displays, so making one in this day & age wouldn't exactly be a great idea. That's why controllers like the Wiimote & Move have sensors.

Cinema games? You mean like live-action? Yeah, had enough of that with The 11th Hour.

Not sure what to say about light-gun games. Nothing wrong with on-rails shooters, but having to use a peripheral to play them might be annoying.

I'd say the Survival-Horror genre is slowly dying. I hope not because it's one of my favorite genres.

I tried House of the Dead Overkill and Time Crisis 4.

-

They are not as good as light-gun games on PS1.  Maybe because PS1 actually used a light-gun.  I was using PS Move in Overkill and Time Crisis 4.  It is not accurate.  Now I know why they have the cross-hair showing on the screen at all times.  Just so you can move it around with your lap.   On the old light-gun games you could aim and hit any target consistently  without a cross-hair showing on the screen.    So tech from 2 gens ago was more accurate.  I actually think the Super Scope for SNES was even more accurate.

[quote user="PinkLunarCamel"]

...and that looney teenage serial Killer thing (pretty sure that was just a demo).

[/quote]

You're thinking of Night Trap with Dana Plato from Different Strokes. It was a full game, and actually quite controversial for the time. The player was in charge of monitoring this house where a bunch of teenaged girls were having a sleepover. The basic gameplay was switching to different cameras throughout the house to track the girls movements (even into the shower). When a bunch of baddies show up, the player has to set off traps that are set all over the mansion, in order to stop them from getting to the girls. It was kinda fun for a little while, but it definitely wasn't an attention holder. Most guys played it to see Dana Plato in her underwear.

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

You know what genre is pretty much lost on consoles? Strategy. Not RTS, those can stay on PC. I mean how old consoles used to have tons of slow, thought provoking strategy games. People can't handle that stuff now I guess.

[/quote]Thought provoking?,are you writing about games like MYST?

Like said above, there's a reason why those "game types" faded away into history...

The problem is there's just a bunch of sameness to "choose" from now. A lot of genres that used to be commonplace are extremely underrepresented, leaving piles of cookie-cutter titles. Gaming really is in a dung-hole circa 2012.

There one that used to be dead. It called sidescrollers. But it giving a secend chance in life in the from of XBLA games. But they are there for us old timer gamers. And not the youngings.

[quote user="Dakrkplayer2"]

There one that used to be dead. It called sidescrollers. But it giving a secend chance in life in the from of XBLA games. But they are there for us old timer gamers. And not the youngings.

[/quote]

Rayman Origins is a decent sidescroller.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

[quote user="OG Pooh"]

[quote user="PinkLunarCamel"]

...and that looney teenage serial Killer thing (pretty sure that was just a demo).

[/quote]

You're thinking of Night Trap with Dana Plato from Different Strokes. It was a full game, and actually quite controversial for the time. The player was in charge of monitoring this house where a bunch of teenaged girls were having a sleepover. The basic gameplay was switching to different cameras throughout the house to track the girls movements (even into the shower). When a bunch of baddies show up, the player has to set off traps that are set all over the mansion, in order to stop them from getting to the girls. It was kinda fun for a little while, but it definitely wasn't an attention holder. Most guys played it to see Dana Plato in her underwear.

[/quote]

Haha, Night Trap, I couldn't remember the name. I'm pretty sure my launch CD add-on came with the demo of that one plus the full game Sewer Shark. I remember some cut scenes outside going through grass that were good from something, but I could be thinking of PS1, it still had that digital fuss that made it exciting because it let your imagine fill in the gaps as well.