Two-handed defense

If I am to play as a two-handed Nord primarily, what is the best way to defend myself against ranged attacks such as arrows and magic? Also, what is the best way to close in on enemies who attack from a distance? Thank you for any advice.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

What happened to, you know, playing the game?

I don't know, but if I were being shot at I'd either change to a shield or do what I could to avoid being hit. Actually TRY playing the game and maybe you'll figure something out.

Never used two handed weapons because I find them restrictive as I can't easily cast spells at the same time.

But one way to close into an enemy is to use that shout you get from the greybeards. Can't remember what the shout is called but it lets you move forward very fast to dodge swinging pendulums or close into enemies.

I'm playing a Nord with shield and sword. I accepted early on that i was going to need to master some sort of distant attack. So i decided on the bow. I came across a nice bow that drain enemy magic, which is great because i was getting destroyed by ranged magic attacks. Now i hit them with that bow and they are forced to pull out a weapon and all they have to protect themselves are their armorless harry potter shirts.

I'm not into magic or potions at all but i dig the shouts

[quote user="Malacath"]

Never used two handed weapons because I find them restrictive as I can't easily cast spells at the same time.

But one way to close into an enemy is to use that shout you get from the greybeards. Can't remember what the shout is called but it lets you move forward very fast to dodge swinging pendulums or close into enemies.

[/quote]

It's called the Whirlwind Sprint and yes it is very good at closing the gap.

I have an Orc character that I play sometimes that uses Heavy Armor and Two-Handed weapons. I just bum rush mages and archers... Orcs don't mess around.

My main character is a Nord and his answer for ranged attacks is a archery and shouts

I wish there was a way to heal with a spell while using a 2 handed sword without having to switch to a 1 hander. Maybe there is and I haven't figured it out yet. :)

As mentioned the whirwind rush shout is your best friend v Mages and Archers. Get up close and power attack them, they won't last long (even on Master). Two-Handed discipline you need heavy armour and their perks as you wish, and favour heavily upgrading your Stamina for your power attacks.

Blocking v normal melee enemies you sacrifice some blocking without a shield but you got the biiiiiiiiiig weapon and you can still block quite effectively. Concentrate on the power bash branch of the block perks if you're gonna put points into block because the shield side is of no use to you. Good tactic is to block (beware of the damage you still take), bash, strike and when your bash or strike stumbles them - power attack the fool.

Have a crack at it and don't be put off by not having a shield - you have the weapon, you have the armour, you have the heart.