TV freezes live, changes ratio, etc

I'm having the same issue. I had my Xbox One for almost a week and everything was working beautifully. Then, out of the blue, the TV feed simply stopped working. Shows would play for roughly 15 seconds then freeze. The frequency would increase until it was unwatchable. I disconnected HDMI running from my cable box (motorola) to the Xbox and tried connecting directly to the HDMI input on my TV and everything is fine. Not sure what is causing this. Tried a tech guy from MS and he didn't know either. Then sudden;y it worked for a day and thought it was a temp bug - bu now - BAM - freezing all over again :(

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi Mikenart,

It sounds like you may be having the issue where the Xbox One is detecting a new signal resolution so it is trying to adjust to the display the image at the appropriate size.  First try this, go into your cable box settings and look for the video or resolution option and it may have something set like (native or autoswitching) change this to whatever resolution you normally watch TV at 1080p/i,720p etc. If you do this the cable box won't change the signal all the time and you should be fine. Not all cable boxes send the correct information on what resolution TV signal is coming out so the Xbox One has to examine the feed in order to display it correctly.

If this does not work please tell me what country you are in, the name of your cable provider, and the model # of your cable box and then I can help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

One additional note if you have Surround Sound set on your cable box and or have the Surround Sound BETA box checked on the XBox One please set it back to stereo on your cable box and uncheck that box if it is checked on the Xbox One.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the problem with freezing every few seconds or not display and there's an easier solution. You need to Power Cycle your console, which is not simply the same as restarting your console. To power cycle, hold the Xbox Console touch button for 8 seconds until the console powers off, then wait 30 seconds, then power your console back on and check to see if you still have the problem. A power cycle will clear the cache and reset the network card which typically resolves a lot of issues. Let us know if this works for you.

Sorry this didn't help.