Turn 10 dropped the ball on this one.

I've owned all of the Forza games (except Horizons) and while the graphics and even the game play are better.  The rest of the game has taken a leap backwards.  Here are my biggest gripes.

1. No Auction House.  It is difficult to find cool designs, good tunes, etc.
  2. Career mode race requirements.  It is not obvious what class cars are eligible for career races.  
  3. During the race, the distance of the car ahead/behind was displayed.  Miss that......
  4. Lack of ability to tune your car without having to back out of the career races to the garage.
  5. Buying Cars.  They are too expensive.  Practically forcing our hands to buy the tokens to make in-game purchases.
There was so much fun to be had off the track in previous releases.  Almost all of that is gone now.  I enjoy this release and will finish the career mode but I will not spend money on car/track packs, tokens, etc.
Unless changes are made, I don't think I'll continue this series.  I will just play previous versions that were more fun.  Maybe I expected too much from this one.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Wow and I was on the verge of downloading it this morning.

I happen to love it. Sure the auction house is gone and I agree as far as the car class being hard to find. As for the rest of it, I have had no trouble finding tunes or paint jobs. The price of the cars is not bad at all after the last update. If you are a Forza rewards member they throw plenty of game cash at you. I have also played Forza 1,2,3,4 and Horizon.

1, 2 & 4 are exactly my 3 biggest complaints, too. Especially #2! I still dono how to tell. Is there a way? If you found out how, I'd love to know. I'm also an old school Forza-er, having played all of them since the beginning, including the arcade-ish Horizon, which I still enjoy for a break from the serious stuff. :)

When you start a new league - you can check the Buy Cars menu to determine what cars are eligible for the league and what the top PI is for the league (since each car will be auto-upgraded to the top PI for the league from this menu).

If you're returning to a league there are little blue boxes on the league tiles that give you some indication. They have things like: "Garage Cars Eligible", "Cars Affordable", or "Current Car Eligible". "Current Car Eligible" means that the car you currently have selected is eligible for the league. The other options ("Garage Cars Eligible"/"Cars Affordable") should take you to the car selection menu which shows "My Cars" by default but also shows the "Buy Cars" option (which, the same as above, will allow you to see all the eligible models and the top PI for the league).

Unfortunately, there is no simple button click that shows you the exact body type and PI restrictions for each league. But I suspect that this is "by design" as Turn10 stated over the summer that part of the reasoning behind some decisions in the game was to get players invested more in the cars they select. The way the system works encourages you to pick a car at the start of each league and then run the entire league with that car. It's a little different way to think about leagues when compared to the previous iterations of Forza.

It's just sort of lame when you get your car and spend cash and time to upgrade it then find out it wasn't supposed to be above a C or whatever. It'd be nice and a real timesaver to just put that on the selection tile in the league. I always use the same car, barring any major performance issues that keep me from liking it, for whatever reason.

I agree that it would be nice to see the restrictions for each league. For now, the method used for manual upgrades/tuning is:

1. Look at the list of cars/PI for a league

2. Back out to the menu

3. Buy the stock version of the car

4. Upgrade manually to the required PI

5.Go back and start the league play

I'm not sure what you mean about always using the same car. I've done probably 60-70% of the leagues so far and I haven't been able to use the same car in two different leagues yet. The restrictions are such (body style, PI, etc...) that you'll really need to have a new car in each league.

I mean the same car per series. So, for example, you go into the league and then you have the 6 items to choose from. One might be modern hatch. So I'll get a modern hatch and use it throughout the whole series, unless for some strange reason, I don't like the way it handles or whatever, then I might get another and drive it instead. I guess I should have clarified better. :)

I've been playing this quite a bit today and am now even more frustrated.  I've completed 4 out of the 6 "Sport Compact" series and this "investment" in a car business is for the birds.   What this will end up doing is having me invest money in other racing series.  If they want to turn Forza into Gran Turismo that's fine.....but for me, I'd rather just buy Gran Turismo.

So, on the Buy Cars screen at the beginning of a series, are those the ONLY 10 or so cars allowed in that race?

[quote user="y0diggity"]I mean the same car per series. So, for example, you go into the league and then you have the 6 items to choose from. One might be modern hatch. So I'll get a modern hatch and use it throughout the whole series, unless for some strange reason, I don't like the way it handles or whatever, then I might get another and drive it instead. I guess I should have clarified better. :)[/quote]

Gotcha! That makes sense and - based on how you describe playing the game - it sounds like the current system is tailored pretty good for you.

[quote user="DUH BANDIT"]If they want to turn Forza into Gran Turismo that's fine.....but for me, I'd rather just buy Gran Turismo.[/quote]

This comment doesn't make any sense to me.

[quote user="DUH BANDIT"]So, on the Buy Cars screen at the beginning of a series, are those the ONLY 10 or so cars allowed in that race?[/quote]

That's correct. Each series has specific requirements for body style and PI. The cars shown in the Buy Cars menu when you begin the series (after the little Top Gear introduction) are the only cars available for use in that series.