trouble streaming music from xbox from win8

I have new Windows 8 PC, have placed all music into library and can see it on xbox music on PC. When changed to xbox it can see the PC but cannot see the media to stream music. This did work fine last week on old XP machine but Windows * & xbox are no go so far. I prefer to use built-in music player but if I could get music recognized in xbox music that would work too. Please help me play music again on my xbox streamed from PC.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

To use Xbox Music app to stream your music, you will need to pay for the Music pass. Which in my opinion, is a rubbish idea. I was looking forward to the Music app until i discovered this. Now the app is redundant to me, i just use the Zune media player, or WMC.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just want to use the xbox system music player, worked fine in Windows XP. Anyone had similar problem??

Sorry this didn't help.

Having this problem. Any solutions yet?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, here's what worked for me:

1) Install Zune desktop client and make it the default music player on your windows 8 machine

2) In the Zune desktop settings/collection make sure all your music locations are included.  If not, add them.

3) In the Zune desktop settings, click on "xbox 360" and make sure sharing is enabled with your xbox(es).  I found it helpful that I renamed my Zune collection to something distinct from my desktop collection (as explained in step 5).

4) At the bottom of settings/collection, click "manage separately" and click "continue" when asked.

5) Don't change anything in the next screen, just go to the bottom and click "align libraries" or whatever it said.  This made my Zune rebuild it's entire library based on all the available music files.  It took a few minutes, but after it was done I could now see my PC's music library (which had been renamed to the Zune collection name I chose in step 3) in the system music player and it works just like it did when I had Win 7 installed on my machine!!!

Sorry this didn't help.