Trouble playing original Xbox games

Tried all the listed steps. Reformatting, clearing cache, system update but still no luck. 

What game are you trying to play?

Halo 2, Thief: Deadly Shadows, and a few others just to check if any worked... They don't

Is it a disc or downloaded version? 

Disks. All of them. I don't have any downloads having to do with original Xbox games.

What type of console are you using? 

Xbox 360 Slim. But a friend of mine has a Xbox 360 Pro and has been having the same problems with the same games. (we traded back and forth to make sure we were both consistently not working.

What size HDD are you using? 

320 GB

What error code or message are you receiving?

It doesn't give an error code. It says:

"Game Error

The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again.

For more help, visit www.xbox.com/support."

Please help. I feel cheated. Attempting to play compatible games with most recent update and formatted official xbox 360 hard drive and nothing works. I'm doing everything right but I can't play games that I bought? It's starting to get really aggravating.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

1st of all not all original Xbox games are compatible with the Xbox 360 here is a list of the ones that are support.xbox.com/en-gb/pages/xbox-360/how-to/play-original-games.aspx and with the problem of the "error the game couldn't start" message try this support.microsoft.com/.../en-us

Xbox Ambassador.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am aware of compatibility. The games I was trying to get to work are on the list. The link you sent would normally be helpful but I have done that already before posting. So like I said. Thanks but unfortunately the reason I am here is because those methods didn't work.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is your HDD actually an official Microsoft made for Xbox HDD, because if it's 3rd party the software needed to playback the old Xbox 1 game may not be installed on the HDD.  It's recommended you only buy real Xbox HDD's as the fail rate of 3rd party as well as incompatibility with 1st party software and other things is high on those drives.

There is no way to get the software to play the games, unless you buy a real Hard drive for Xbox.

Are you able to confirm if its a real drive like is it that lego SW III   320gig drive or something else?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you play an original Xbox game on a current Xbox 360 console you are prompted to download an optional update if the console is connected to the internet. If you do not have this update you will not be able to play the game.

This link will hopefully illustrate how you download the update regardless if you are using an original 360 hdd or 3rd party since neither will come pre-installed with the update.

www.ehow.com/how_2175183_xbox-run-old-xbox-games.html

Sorry this didn't help.