Trouble Playing Original Xbox Games On Xbox 360

Hello, a while back, I tried to play Halo 1 and 2 on my Xbox 360. I have the Xbox 360 Slim 4GB console. I was told I needed a proper HDD to play original Xbox games, so I picked up an official Microsoft 250GB HDD for $50, but now when I try to run the game, it says "The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again." Am I supposed to download the game somehow? I looked online and it seems that the game SHOULD run on my console because I do have the right HDD. Why can't I play?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

it is because you have a bootleg/3rd party drive those drives LOOK like REAL drives but are knock offs there is a reason you paid 50 bucks for it.  most if not ALL 250 gig drives are 99 bucks maybe a bit less if you get em on sale or through microsoft's amazon page but it would still be way over 50 bucks.  once you get a real drive you will be able to play those games and there is no legit way to make it so that bootleg drive to work to play the older games sorry.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oh, well now that I think about it, I got my HDD (New) from Amazon. When I got it It came in a little brown package and not a and official looking one. Also, it doesn't have "Xbox 360" or "Microsoft" labels on it's surface, so I think you're right. Well, thanks for the info. So if a buy a true $99 HDD from Gamestop (wow that much?) will I then be able to play them games? And if you could tell me why mine wont play those games? Is it corrupted or something?

Sorry this didn't help.

Official MS hard drives have the emulation software on them required to run original Xbox games. No other hard drive or flash drive has that software. That's why a knock off won't work. So yes, if you buy an official one from Gamestop, you will be able to play the games.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.