Trouble playing an HDD installed game on Xbox 360

Recently had my disc drive finally go bad on my launch Xbox 360 (only one RRoD, too). It refuses to read even brand new discs. I just bought Rocksmith 2014 and realized this. My console does however read well enough to recognize games that have been installed on my HDD. I took my Rocksmith and my hard drive to my friend's house where I used his Xbox 360 to install the game to MY HDD.

I came home to try it out and it still gives me a "Disc is Unreadable" error after a few seconds. I bought the game and have all the files for it on my HDD but it just won't function and it is quite frustrating. Buying an auxiliary disc drive is out of the question as this is very likely the LAST game I'll buy for my 360 before I buy a PS4. Any workarounds would be much appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 42 Applies to:

When you install a game, it's tied to the console, not just the hard drive. So you would actually need to install it on your console in order for it to see the install correctly.

Really if the disc drive is bad the only other thing you could do is either get a new system or send it in for repair.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Figured as much. I assume the installation is tied to the serial number.

My console tripped at the finish line I suppose. I looked into it and the disc drives are only about $30. Thanks for your response, though.

Sorry this didn't help.

note if you or anybody other than MS fixes a broken 360 you could get a console ban for system tampering it is best to A: have them fix it, or B: trade it in even if it is broken they can still give $$ for it and they get sent back to MS to be repaired/refurbished.

Sorry this didn't help.