Tropico 4

Anyone else playing this?  I was looking for a demo but its not available.  I also asked in the Tropico 4 forums but its dead.  Looks like it would be a fun game and its the next game on my rental list.  Any feedback or opinions?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I played it. I played a lot of the sandbox mode( I think it was called that? IDK, but I had infinite money and couldn't fail.) I liked the game. The missions to me were hard because the food wouldn't export -_- I loved the free-roam though. You can impose martial law and etc and do some other neat stuff.

-

It's definitely more of a rental game IMO.

I responded to your post giving you a link to the Tropico 3 demo.  It's (for the most part) the exact same gameplay.  Tropico 4 just has some extra buildings and more edicts.

The game is great, but I think initially it can feel overwhelming.  You have to make your citizens happy, foreign diplomats on your side (more emphasis on this in T4), as well as generating an income.  It may take you awhile to get used to it, but I think the initial build-up will almost always be the same.

Start with a couple farms to produce food for your people, and then build a couple farms for cash (sugar, coffee or tobacco).  Always try to build a medical clinic, church, and high school w/in the first 5 years.  Dang, I could give you tips for hours, but I managed to get good at the game going in blind.. so, I'm sure you'll manage.

p.s.  I'd also like to add that if you see the DLC - Modern Times - go on sale, to pick it up.  It adds 12 more missions and a bunch of new buildings.  I've purchased both T3 & T4 and I absolute love these games.  So stoked for Port Royale 3 next month -- also released by Kalypso.

Let me know if it is any good. I have always been curious and wanted to play it.

I played the Tropico 3 demo for about 3 hours. Had a blast with it.  Went to the rental store to rent Tropico 4, and they dont even carry it.  

tropico 4 is fun. it is the exact same game as tropico 3 however. just a couple of added edicts, disasters and buildings... but other than that it is the most scandalous photo-copy of a previous game in any given franchise, lol. doesnt make it a bad game though. if you havent played 3, i would suggest jumping into 4. my only advice is to save the game to the hard drive. it feezes ALOT! and never play the biggest map. with a map that big, after about 30 years of building, it can get pretty ridiculous.

<snip> , oh wait mod syndrome, can't read. [scratch edit - I can read so not sure if that's part of mod syndrome] </snip>

-

OP

I have tropico 4 on PC and it is amazing. I didn't like tropico 3 though, it feels more serious in a bad way.

if you can get it on PC get it on PC as it lets you have more buildings and people on your island then xbox. but if not its still real fun. I am hoping they have a gold edition for xbox with all the dlc this year.

[quote user="isturbo1984"]

tropico 4 is fun. it is the exact same game as tropico 3 however. just a couple of added edicts, disasters and buildings... but other than that it is the most scandalous photo-copy of a previous game in any given franchise, lol. doesnt make it a bad game though. if you havent played 3, i would suggest jumping into 4. my only advice is to save the game to the hard drive. it feezes ALOT! and never play the biggest map. with a map that big, after about 30 years of building, it can get pretty ridiculous.

[/quote]

Great advice. I will keep it in mind. Since I cant rent Tropico 4 I might consider buying it. The demo for Tropico 3 was very fun.  As I said above it consumed 3 hours.   I couldnt believe how large the island was.  In the demo I started going negative with my finances and wasnt able to recover. 

As for PC gaming, I dont buy games for my PC anymore.  I am on a PC all day and its the last thing I want to see when I get home. So I would just consider it for the 360. 

It makes sense to post this question here... to get a more well-rounded reply. I'd expect to find bias in a game-specific forum.

-

I've seen this game around. Never really heard of what it was about though. It actually sounds pretty good, tbh.

Love the game is better than Tropico 3 in term of less glitches but i love more the soundtrack in Tropico 3.

I'll agree w/ Bad Instincts.  In Tropico 3, you had to watch out how big your island got as having too many people would bog the game down and sometimes it would crash.  In Tropico 4, they fixed most of these issues.  It still had some bugs/corrupt save issues, but there weren't as many.

As for getting out of the red... make sure you have some farms producing cash crops, ranches w/ smoked beef (if you can afford it), and try to build a mine or 2.  Once you really start getting a steady stream of cash coming in, work on building up some industry.

2 things I never bothered to actually try (unless the mission actually called for it) was oil & tourism.  I just stuck w/ making my Tropicans happy, and making a lot of money.